Just watched Tombstone, arguably my favorite western, though there are others that are close runners-up. However, Tombstone has that great combination of justice, revenge, violence, horses, great lines, drama, humor, excellent cinematography and enough western mythology to make me go “Yeah!!”
My back is killing me, so watching other people ride horses and kill bad guys works for me.
One of my favorites quotes:
Curly Bill: [takes a bill with Wyatt's signature from a customer and throws it on the faro table] Wyatt Earp, huh? I heard of you.
Ike Clanton: Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog. Law don’t go around here. Savvy?
Wyatt Earp: I’m retired.
Curly Bill: Good. That’s real good.
Ike Clanton: Yeah, that’s good, Mr. Law Dog, ’cause law don’t go around here.
Wyatt Earp: I heard you the first time.
[flips a card]
Wyatt Earp: Winner to the King, five hundred dollars.
Curly Bill: Shut up, Ike.
Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday.
Doc Holliday: That’s the rumor.
Johnny Ringo: You retired too?
Doc Holliday: Not me. I’m in my prime.
Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it.
Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don’t even know him.
Doc Holliday: Yes, but there’s just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don’t know, reminds me of… me. No. I’m sure of it, I hate him.
Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He’s drunk.
Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]
Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.
["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.
["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]
Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]
Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on boys. We don’t want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo’s an educated man. Now I really hate him.
- 5 Best ‘Tombstone’ Movie Quotes (mademan.com)
- What Happened at the OK Corral? (news.discovery.com)
- On This Day in 1881, The Shootout at the O.K. Corral (rememberinghistory.wordpress.com)
- Movember’s Moustache Movie Madness: WYATT EARP & TOMBSTONE Showdown! (Hollywood) (blankpagebeatdown.wordpress.com)
- 12 Things You Might Not Know About Wyatt Earp (neatorama.com)
- Legends of the Old West (susanmarg.com)
- Shootout at the OK Corral – History.com This Day in History – 10/26/1881 (worldhistoryreview.org)
- On This Day In 1887, Doc Holliday Dies of Tuberculosis (rememberinghistory.wordpress.com)