Anyone who knows me at all knows I love roller coasters. I love them all … but for me, there’s nothing that comes near the Cyclone at Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York. Been riding it since I was 8 years. I’m ready to go again. Just say the word. But I think I’d have to go alone. My friends and husband have declared themselves too crotchety to do it again. Bah. Humbug.
If a goose can bring down a 747, it is not irrational to believe a pigeon can derail a roller coaster. Just thought I’d mention it.
Here’s a crazy video of the coaster and nutty middle-aged people enjoying the last great legal high. How many of us leave this ride limping, wondering if we are as insane as we appear to be? I would say yes, we are insane. After last summer’s excursion to Busch Gardens, almost a year later … I’m still limping! But oh, that wonderful adrenaline rush as you look down the first drop, wondering if this time, the car really is going to hit a pigeon and you will go flying off into eternity. What a way to go, right?
This is still the best video I’ve seen to date. Clean, almost sort of like being there. Nah. Who am I kidding? There’s nothing like being there except being there. Garry says we’re too old, just because I can’t even stand up straight. He points out I can barely walk. But you don’t have to walk on the Cyclone. You just sit and scream. I can do it. I can, really. Especially the screaming.
Well, we’ll always have 2009 in Brooklyn.
Ah, the refreshing sounds of joy mixed with terror! What a great thing it is to be safely scared to death. Just gotta go back … one last time. I hear the new rides are FANtastic. And here, a sentimental song and a look at those long ago days of doo wop and 1962 … beehive hairdo and mini skirts. Gee. I was the same age that my granddaughter is now … yikes.
Hey Brooklyn … how are you?
– – –
- Take a roller coaster ride back in time (cnn.com)
- Coney Island Roller Coaster Turns 85 (shoppingblog.com)
- Happy 85th Birthday to the Coney Island Cyclone Roller Coaster! (amcpress.wordpress.com)
- Coney Island Cyclone marks milestone with 25-cent rides (travel.usatoday.com)
- Over the hill: NYC’s Cyclone coaster turns 85 (cbsnews.com)
- Coney Island Cyclone (coasterguy.wordpress.com)
- Brightening Up the Boardwalk (ariel51.wordpress.com)
- The Cyclone rollercoaster was built in 1927…and it felt like it was built in 1927. (ashleyhillnc.wordpress.com)