This picture is the only one I have that includes almost all the family with whom I grew up. All the older people in the picture have passed away. The young people, the kids — my generation — are all grandparents now or soon will be. This was the summer of 1963. July.The get-together was my mother’s idea. She organized the family vacation in the mountains. We had never done anything like it before. We never would again.Off we all went to the Catskills for two weeks. It would be the last time we would all be together. I’m the one sitting in the front with shaggy dark hair and rolled up jeans. Age 16, the summer between high school graduation and college. These were my last days of innocence. Childhood’s end, for me. I do not know who took the picture. My brother probably since he’s missing. This is more than nostalgia. It’s a recognition of how the years have fled and a generation has passed. We — me — are the older generation. This was the way it was when I was young. Since so many people are trying to guess who’s related to who, let me start by saying the all the older people except for the lady in a babushka who I don’t even know at all and can only guess how she wound up in the picture, all the others of that generation are my mother’s brothers and sister. Two sisters aren’t in the picture (Kate and Yetta). They weren’t with us.
So it’s my mom, her younger sister and two older brothers. Me, my sister and mom are outlined in red for your guessing convenience.
Everyone else in my age group or younger are cousins. The dark-haired woman who looks like me is my cousin as is the girl sitting next to me.
I don’t know why, but people always guess we’re related. Funny how that works.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- George’s Coney Island (teepee12.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: The World Through My Eyes – At the Center (teepee12.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgia (smkelly8.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Curves – Arch Collegia (teepee12.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Companionable (lifeasiknowitv1.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic (diaryofdennis.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic – Coney Island Summers (teepee12.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Nostalgic (beijingcityphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Nostalgic (momentsinyourlife.wordpress.com)