This is the first Earth Day poster (1971) from Walt Kelly and the gang down in the Okefenokee. Although Walt Kelly took ecology as his personal cause, he was highly political in other ways. Many of his cartoons are subtle references to McCarthy and the HUAAC thugs.
He died in 1973 after a long battle with diabetes and his grave is unmarked and unknown. He would hate the world today. Sometimes, I think I hear the little voices of Pogo and gang looking sadly at our world and wondering what will become of their beloved swamp … and the rest of the wild places.
- Okefenokee Swamp: A Hike in the Land of Trembling Earth (gallivance.wordpress.com)
- Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge waives fees over Vets Day weekend (members.jacksonville.com)
- Comics:Walt Kelly “Pogo” (nex0003.wordpress.com)
- And Then I Read: POGO – THROUGH THE WILD BLUE WONDER (kleinletters.com)
- Okefenokee Swamp, Georgia state parks enjoying highest water in years (jacksonville.com)
- imabonehead: Okefenokee Swamp Photo — Screech Owl Wallpaper — National Geographic Photo of the Day (photography.nationalgeographic.com)
- Fabulous Find # 20: Pogo Collectibles (backtothepast.tv)
- Okefenokee Swamp, Georgia state parks enjoying highest water in years (members.jacksonville.com)