There’s no viable alternative to laughter. Drugs, booze, even chocolate … all are nothing in the face of the black comedy of our lives. True there is something to be said for laughing while drinking and eating chocolate, but not all of us can treat our bodies that way and live to tell the tale, so we have to settle for humor.
When our lives are in shambles, when all around us is falling apart, the brave tell jokes. When the laughter dies down, we take a deep breath, tell another one … and laugh some more. The more horrific the situation, the more devastating the problems, the more catastrophic the impending calamity, the funnier it is. We do not laugh at tragedy. We laugh at life. We laugh at ourselves.
Laughter is not about happy times. Jokes are full of pain and sorrow. They are the defense we’ve been given to push back the darkness and despair. Use it freely. It’s the best medication on earth.
The difference between tragedy and comedy is how you look at it. Laughter is the universal cure for the griefs of life.
What can you do? If the light at the end of the tunnel is indeed the headlight of an oncoming train? Heard any good ones lately?
Laughing at the craziness, insanity, ludicrousness, the utter absurdity of my life — and the demented world in which I live it — is my first line of defense against despair. Take away laughter, strip away my sense of humor and I’m a goner.
I hope I’ve left you laughing!
- Daily Prompt: Funny Ha-Ha (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Watch Out for the Pod People! (teepee12.com)
- Daily Prompt: Funny Ha-Ha 26|8 (familyphotosfoodcraft.com)
- Laughter is the best medicine (zainabjavid.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Funny Ha-Ha (angloswiss-chronicles.com)
- Not so funny ha ha as funny, what?! (thoughtsofrkh.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Funny Ha-Ha (modrenhippiemom.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Ha Ha Funny-My Father’s Daughter (fortheloveofimages.wordpress.com)