Still waiting. Still holding my breath. The loss of my job when the company went bankrupt — my career when my health failed — and my husband’s after 31 years for no good reason and at the same time. The loss of 100% of our income. Two years, zero income, no help from anywhere or anyone.
My son’s career crashing with the towers on 9/11. Huddling together. Three generations trying to survive as the world fell around us. Me, a botched surgery — getting sicker and sicker. No medical care until so close to dead I felt the reaper’s wings brush my face. Then — a miracle. Help! Better (is the siege really over?) until cancer. Surviving again, feeling better — NOW it’s my heart. But we don’t have the money to fund the surgery and rehab.
All lights are headlights of oncoming trains.
Still waiting to exhale. It’s been more than a decade and my breath is tight and painful in my chest. Or maybe it’s my heart. Who can tell?
Yet we laugh. Often. Because life is absurd, hilarious, crazy, mad. Laugh or die sad and full of tears. After all, we shall all die of something eventually … I prefer to do it laughing.
- Daily Prompt: Exhale (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Exhale (thetemenosjournal.com)
- The Daily Prompt: Exhale (smalltownbear.wordpress.com)
- Exhale (lifeconfusions.wordpress.com)
- DP Daily Prompt: Exhale Post by Ranu (sabethville.wordpress.com)
- 192. Waiting to Exhale (kevindeisher.wordpress.com)