In college, when you decided to do something, go somewhere, you didn’t pack, plan or even tell anyone where you were going or when you’d be back. The blessing of youth was, for a little while, you could be genuinely spontaneous.
As a senior citizen, I can still be spontaneous. But with some minor modifications. I need to take a few things with me I didn’t need in the good old days.
This is me and my best friend planning a spontaneous weekend getaway
She: “Hey, I’ve got a couple of freebies for a weekend at a really nice B&B in Freeport. We could go, shop and hang out. What do you say?”
Me: “Cool. Let’s do it.”
She: “I just need to pack a few things.”
Me: “Me too.”
She: “See you soon.”
My college packing list:
- A book to read.
My senior packing list:
- Medications (bring them all).
- Electric toothbrush and charger.
- Special toothpaste.
- Heating pad.
- Cell phone and charger.
- Kindle and charger.
- Computer, extension cord, etc.
- Computer bag.
- Auxiliary clip-on speaker.
- Two Olympus 4/3 cameras, 3 lenses, extra batteries, chargers, a couple of spare SD cards.
- Camera case.
- Tripod (compact).
- Compact superzoom camera (for purse).
- Prescription sunglasses.
- Prescription computer glasses.
- Other glasses.
- Inhaler. Other inhaler.
- Warm slippers.
- My pillow.
- My driving pillow.
- Twice as much underwear as I think I’ll need.
- Stretch pants in case the jeans feel tight.
- Another sweater.
- Two tee shirts.
- Two night gowns.
- Some jewelry. More jewelry. Extra earrings. Another pair of earrings.
- Makeup even though I won’t use it.
- Hair brush and comb.
- Shampoo and conditioner.
- Body lotion.
- Protein bars.
- Power zero.
- My special coffee cup to keep my coffee perfect.
- My special other cup that can’t spill and destroy my laptop.
- A few DVDs in case there’s nothing on TV.
- Rain jacket.
- Other jacket.
- Extra pair of comfortable shoes.
- Nicer pair of shoes.
- Warm Socks.
- Knee high nylons to wear with nice shoes.
- A few tee shirts. Another tee-shirt — black because it goes with everything.
- A skirt (you never know)
- Attractive sweater to go with the skirt. Just in case.
- Money, credit cards, check book.
Worst of all, I know I’m forgetting something.