I grew up with the Lone Ranger and Tonto racing around my bedroom. Until I got the wallpaper, I was sure he was the Long Ranger … as in “he rode a lot and covered great distances.”
Other girls had Disney Princesses, but I had “Hi Yo Silver, the Lone Ranger Rides Again!” Although my walls did not play music, I could hum well enough and I had many a long chat with Lone and Tonto, Silver and Scout as I lay abed in the evening pondering the meaning of life and how I could convince my mother to let me have a horse.
Eventually, as I rounded the corner into adolescence, the Lone Ranger and his trusty Indian Companion (who had led the fight for law and order in the early west) returned to those thrilling days of yesteryear whence they had come. They were replaced by plain, off-white paint. I would have preferred Lone and Tonto, but felt it was time for a change. The paper was old and getting a bit tattered so it was hard to argue the point.
This did not end my allegiance to the first love of my life. I don’t honestly know what it is about masked men on horses that turns on all my lights, but both Zorro and Lone made me woozy with unrequited love. As the years rolled on, I became very attached to Tonto, not as Tonto, but as Jay Silverheels, the actor, whose career I continued to follow long after the Lone Ranger had disappeared from the airwaves.
I still love the Lone Ranger and I didn’t let Johnny Depp spoil it for me by the simple expedient of not watching the movie when it came out or since then.
The Lone Ranger fought the good fight. He never asked for thanks and would run away rather than have to accept them. He was the goodest of the good guys and whenever I’m not sure what to do in a morally ambiguous situation, I can always ask myself “What would the Lone Ranger do?”
Then, I send Garry to town because when in doubt, the Lone Ranger always sent Tonto, right?
- Tail Business and Heroes! Daily Prompt… | alienorajt
- A Little Girl’s Hero « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- The Dad Who Didn’t Have To Be | theauthorwhoknows
- Daily prompt: Heroic | laura-in-china
- My Childhood Hero | all my likes
- My Dad, My Hero | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt – Hero. | My Beautiful Messed Up World.
- Even Heroes Can Wear Thin « Mon Cache
- Are You A Hero in Your Home? | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- The Dark Knight | Sébastien Grobelny – Photography
- Hanging with the Guys | Nicetomeetyou:I’mCourtney
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss