Marijuana advocates eye legalization in Mass.
An effort has been launched to both get a question calling for the drug’s legalization on the 2016 ballot and to raise enough money for victory.
I kind of wondered what happened. I mean we passed a referendum making medical marijuana legal more than a year ago. We passed it, we talked about it and as happens to much legislation and good intentions in this commonwealth, it was never heard from again. I think we could legalize it and have an equally impressive result, that is to say, nothing. Nada. The good news would be that there would be no more busting people for smoking a joint at a concert … or would it? I suppose it would depend on how the law was worded. But I somehow doubt it would make it more available to most people. Or cheaper. Or better quality.
Why not? Because this is Massachusetts. Not only (to quote Tip O’Neill) is all politics local, but all politics is more than slightly corrupted by a long history of entrenched political chicanery. Boston has the original party machine. Okay, maybe we share the honor with New York, assuming you consider it an honor.
So they can eye legalization, but that won’t do me or my baby boomer buddies much good. Even if they pass it, they will find a way to keep it from being easy to buy or even moderately available. By the time they finish with the legal mumbo jumbo, it will be easier to go find the original illegal sources and buy some there. Because otherwise, it will be just like trying to get MassHealth. You’ll fill out a thousand page form, send it in, and they will lose it. You will fill in another form, send it and they will tell you it’s too late to meet the deadline (because they lost the first one). Eventually, they will — with snail-like slowness — start to process the application. If you don’t die first, a year or two later, you’ll get some fantastic medical benefits, or in this case, weed. Except the price will be so high you’ll realize the illegal stuff was a bargain in comparison. The taxes alone will exceed the original non-legal price by hundreds of percent.
Dream on, you aging hippies. It aint’ gonna happen here in our lifetime.
- A Different Sort of Hunger Games | Do Not Get Sick in the Sink, Please
- Elected – excluding others? | A Teacher’s Blog
- This is News??? | Active Army Wife
- Blind Leading The Blind | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Basically Beyond Basic
- The endless quest to be cheerful… | Kate Murray
- Religion and spirituality: a controversial piece! | alienorajt
- Ripped from the Headlines | Geek Ergo Sum
- The Paper | My Little Avalon
- Golden Globes: American Hustle wins three awards | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: A Quick Trip to Uganda | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss