Tell us the origin story of your best friend. How did you become friends? What is it that keeps your friendship rockin’ after all these years?
– – – – –
We knew each other from across a room. She had dreamed of me. I recognized her. We were friends pretty much instantly. Through 40 years, our lives, even when we were out of touch and on different continents, have followed parallel paths. Our husbands are friends and sometimes similar enough to be startling. We wear the same size clothing, even the same size shoes. Like most of the same music, movies, books.
Yet we come from completely different backgrounds — ethnically, religiously, culturally. It has never mattered. Not way back when we met or now.
We have seen each other through so many crises, so many rough times and we’ve always managed to be there and banish the gloom. I think the thing we have most in common is a weird, ironic humor … a sense that the only real power we have over a malign fate is our laughter.
Friendships that last a lifetime and remain active and alive, not “memories” of what were, are rare. That two lives could follow such similar paths for so long is almost unheard of, but it happened for us and all I can say is how grateful I am. It is a saving grace when the world is unkind. I know there is one person who can make me laugh no matter how horribly wrong everything is going.
- Prepare to Die & The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- You Have Beautiful Eyes | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Atlantis onward: Soul Mate | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Friendship things. | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Daily prompt: Best friends | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Something so strong | cockatooscreeching
- Something So Strong – my best friend | Purplesus’ Blog
- DP Daily Prompt: Something So Strong | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Something So Strong | dx0330’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Something So Strong | Diary of Dennis
- Big Bear: a rough essay | kaleidoscope sparks of defiance
- More than a Colleague | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- “As people grow colder” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Ames | Long Winding Road
- “Picture it, Sicily, 1924…” | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Something So Strong | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Something So Strong | Wendy Karasin – Musings of a Boomer
- My best friend | Root To Tip
- Something So Strong | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Something So Strong | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss