THE WITCH PROMISES GREAT BEST-SELLERS

A BOOKISH CHOICE – A literary-minded witch offers you a choice. With a flick of her wand, you can become an obscure novelist whose work will be admired and studied by a select few for decades (phooey on that!) or a popular author whose books give pleasure to millions (definitely). Which do you choose? (Is this a serious question?)

Was I ever young enough to think money doesn’t matter? If I ever said anything that silly, I apologize. To anyone to whom I may have expressed such arrant nonsense, I must have been on drugs. They warned us about the brown acid.

75-BooksHP

You can always write some (or many) good books if you have a publisher and an audience. If your books sell well, you don’t have to write drivel. There’s nothing to prevent you from being a best-selling author and a fine writer. I can think of a bunch of authors who succeed at both.

Great writing does not exclude popularity. Exceptional books will find their audience if they get a reasonable shot at it … which means, any exposure at all.

Go with the best-selling choice. It’s a win-win.

And Mr. Huberman, you need a course in spelling and grammar. I don’t wish to insult you, but please, take the time to proofread your posts before publishing. You are writing for writers. We notice.

23 thoughts on “THE WITCH PROMISES GREAT BEST-SELLERS

1. angloswiss August 12, 2014 / 10:36 am

Great Minds think alike, so we must be good. You have the talent of putting into words exactly the way the cookie crumbles. Let’s go shoot the witch, we do not need her

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 11:04 am

Unless the witch offers a really good contract with a tour that includes talk shows. Not in the the witchy world, though. In the real one!!

2. Doobster418 August 12, 2014 / 10:48 am

Good –and only? — genuine answer to a rather dumb question. Seriously, would anyone actually choose to be an “obscure novelist” over being “a popular author whose books give pleasure to millions.” Yeah, I know, we write for ourselves.

And even if you are not an author at all, but “just” a blogger, ask yourself this: would your rather be an obscure blogger with very few readers or a popular blogger with hundreds (or thousands) of readers? Duh!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 11:03 am

Remarkably, apparently, yes, there are a few who will not SELL OUT! I am assuming they are (a) independently wealthy, (b) not really writers, (c) terribly young and/or (d) brainwashed by their literature professors.

3. draliman August 12, 2014 / 11:35 am

Yep, no question. Best-selling millionaire for me too.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 12:48 pm

Absolutely!! Show me the money and I’ll show you some fine writing!

4. Godless Cranium August 12, 2014 / 12:26 pm

I’m in agreement. Aim for being both. It’s not an either/or proposition.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 12:47 pm

Sometimes those prompts show a serious lack of reasoning power. Also bad spelling, grammar, and punctuation. But I digress 🙂

5. Rose August 12, 2014 / 2:41 pm

Ahhh, Ben, Ben, Ben. I just shake my head. (Ben Huberman)

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 7:48 pm

I think maybe Ben H. is no longer in his position. His name has disappeared off the Daily Prompt. Perhaps he went one typo over the line.

• Rose August 12, 2014 / 9:40 pm

I hate to celebrate anyone getting fired, but if so, he kinda had it coming. Maybe we’ll get some really awesome prompts now and I’ll feel motivated to start doing some creative writing again!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 9:49 pm

Well, his name has been on all the prompts for a few months … and now it’s gone. It was on the Weekly Writing Challenge this morning … gone this evening. So … I somehow doubt he has been kicked upstairs. He really has no business writing for writers if he can’t be bothered to use a spell checker.

• Rose August 12, 2014 / 10:23 pm

Hmmm…sounds like he really DID get the boot. Maybe his new employer will show him where spell-check is, and even have someone else proof his work. I actually would have thought there would be someone at WP to visually scan over prompts before they were sent out. The simplest mistakes can lead to the biggest failures.

6. Martha Kennedy August 12, 2014 / 4:34 pm

Yeah — I also wonder how Ben Huberman can consider something a writing prompt when it has a yes/no answer!!!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2014 / 7:51 pm

I just noticed that Mr. Huberman’s name has disappeared. One too many typos or just really pathetic prompts?

• Martha Kennedy August 12, 2014 / 7:52 pm