HURT SO BAD

The silencing of Linda Ronstadt, Rich Paschall, Sunday Night Blog

All through the 1970’s, you could not leave your transistor radio on for long without hearing the distinctive voice of Linda Ronstadt.  She emerged from her early time with The Stone Poneys from the mid 60’s as broke, from paying for much of their third and final album, but with a solo career emerging.  Her cover of Mike Nesmith’s “Different Drum” became a hit and she was on her way.

After assembling a strong group of musicians and friends, she went ahead with both covers of songs from the 50’s and 60’s as well as some new songs.  The combination brought her hit after hit and made her one of the best-selling female artists of all time.  She posted 10 top ten songs and one of her hottest was a cover of the Little Anthony and the Imperials song, Hurt So Bad,” which peaked in 1980.

In a career that lasted until 2011, Ronstadt sold over 100 million records and her voice can be heard on an astounding 120 albums.  She has an impressive collection of awards, including 11 Grammys.  She remained popular until her retirement in 2011 when she declared herself “100 per cent retired.”  While some walk away from their careers as they get older, it is always somewhat of a surprise when a famous person retires.  You really expect them to come back at some point.  That was never going to happen for Ronstadt.

She could no longer sing.  She was physically unable.  In 2012 she was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and in August 2013 the news was stated publically.  Her induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame came too late in her career.  In April 2014, the disease progressed to the point where she could not perform at her induction, or even attend.  Her friends took her place on stage, singing out her biggest hits in tribute.

In July, President Obama handed out twelve 2013 National Medals of Arts and Humanities, including one for Linda Ronstadt.  This honor was not to be denied to her.  She was brought to Washington and wheeled into the East Room by a military aide, but she stood and walked up to the President of the United States to receive her award “for her one-of-a-kind voice and her decades of remarkable music.”  After the ceremony President Obama admitted to the crowd,  “I told Linda Ronstadt I had a crush on her back in the day.”  It’s OK to admit that.  Millions of others boys did too.

16 thoughts on “HURT SO BAD

1. bobmielke August 31, 2014 / 12:15 am

Linda Ronstadt is my hands down favorite female vocalist. I’ve been following her career from the very beginning. I own every recorded song she’s ever published. I still feel she performed the most remarkable version of our nation anthem at a world series game decades ago. I too had a crush on her.

• Rich Paschall August 31, 2014 / 12:17 am

Thanks, Bob. She certainly was a powerful voice, especially in the 70’s It is a shame she can no longer perform.

• bobmielke August 31, 2014 / 12:25 am

Another favorite from that era was Joan Baez. I bought her last album and was in shock that her voice was nearly gone. Such a unique voice to disappear from our lives. The same can be said for Glen Campbell. I suppose these turn of events remind me the generations of the 60s are getting old, including me. 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong August 31, 2014 / 9:50 am

Baez had (still has, mostly) an amazing voice. Garry’s favorite.

We went to see Linda at the Newport Folk Festival 3 years ago at an individual concert. She was great. She had those pipes still working fine.

• Garry Armstrong August 31, 2014 / 10:42 am

I’m still one of those “boys” in love with Linda. She continues to sing to me on CDs.

• Rich Paschall August 31, 2014 / 10:57 am

I think in that regard she will continue to sing for many years. Also, I found many good videos on You Tube, but no good performance of “Different Drum.”

• Ben September 2, 2014 / 12:07 am

Linda, Linda, Linda always had a thing for her….

• Rich Paschall September 2, 2014 / 8:58 pm

Hard not to have a “thing” for someone with a voice like that.

2. Swoosieque August 31, 2014 / 10:05 am

So sad to learn of her struggle with Parkinson’s Disease. She is still one of my favorite female singers.

3. calipatti August 31, 2014 / 10:56 am

Article brought me to tears, I had not heard about her struggles.
    Also one of my favorite singers and songwriters. I loved her words.
    Joan Baez taught guitar to the blind in my middle school. I’ld see her sitting outside with her students on the grass. (Monterey)

• Rich Paschall August 31, 2014 / 11:01 am

Linda spoke of Parkinson’s in an interview you can find on You Tube before it progressed to the current state.
      It is nice to hear about Joan Baez giving back to students. Many of the great ones do.

4. jcalberta August 31, 2014 / 1:11 pm

I recall it all well. Very well. I had Different Drum on a 45. Played it to death. Bot her first solo album ‘Silk Purse’ – turned all my friends on to her music. Followed her throughout her career. She was a favorite of many of us … still is.
    “And life’s full of flaws
    Who knows the cause?”
    – From “Long Long Time” …

• Rich Paschall August 31, 2014 / 2:39 pm

I found it interesting that a Monkees song would turn out to be one of her biggest hits and launch her solo career. I still love Different Drum and I turn it up when it comes on the radio.