SALAD DAYS, SALAD BARS

Salad Days — Is there a period in your own personal life that you think of as the good old days? Tell us a story about those innocent and/or exciting times (or lack thereof).

Note: If WordPress is going to keep repeating the same prompts and themes, I’m going to rework my material. Good for the goose, good for the gander. Or something like that.

All our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle. Life’s but a poor player who frets and struts his hour about the stage and then is heard no more.

It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

William Shakespeare, “King Lear”

And here we fools are  … again … reliving for WordPress some aspect of the past. Taking another dive into the treacly waters of remembrance of times past. The wonderful days when life was simple, warm, and fuzzy.

Those halcyon days of yore, before women and minorities got strange idea about rights and dignity. Before inferior people thought they were as good as white men.

Yesterday, when it was okay to beat up your kids, your wife, your pets. You knew your neighbors wouldn’t say anything because no one wanted to interfere in a “family matter.” The good old days of back room abortions with wire hangers, nuns with rulers, fathers with straps. The days when bullies could be kings of the world and the rest of us had to cringe our way through school hoping to get out alive.

72-Farm_06

When husbands could rape their wives and it was okay because a marriage licence conferred immunity to prosecution for everything short of murder … and even murder in some states.

The good old days, when you could refuse employment to people because they were the wrong sex or color. When jobs were listed by sex in the press and if you had the wrong plumbing, you couldn’t get an interview.

Those were great times, were they not?

I’m exhausted by all these trips down memory’s lanes. The good old days had some good stuff in them. The world was smaller. We had fewer predators or were blissfully unaware of the ones lurking around every corner. We played outside in good weather, without supervision. Our world wasn’t ruled by technology, or at least not personal devices. No cells phones or beepers to leash us to home. Out of sight meant freedom.

Mom was boss. Watch out for her dish towel! It could get you in any room in the house because mom could not only hear your whispers, but your thoughts, too.

Salad days? Not really. I had healthier days, younger days. 1969, the year my son was born was a good one. Because my son was born, men walked on the moon, everyone went to Woodstock (except me because I was home with the baby) and rock and roll was king.

But not salad days. Just younger.

The Yarn Shoppe in Williamsburg, August 2012.

There’s a lot wrong with today, but there was just as much wrong”back then.” We may not have noticed it, but it was there if you had eyes to see and ears to hear. So lets put our efforts into making today better.

We can’t redo the past and I don’t want to live there or even visit. We have today. We have “now.” Let’s do the best we can to make today worth remembering … even if we aren’t the ones who will remember it.

25 thoughts on “SALAD DAYS, SALAD BARS

1. Garry Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 9:48 am

The early years of my career in radio and tv news. I was the Kid, the game
    Changer and I had boundless energy. We were able to cover real news and had access to the power brokers, good and bad. Those were exciting days.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 11:57 am

And you were The Go To Guy. And we were a power couple. But we don’t live in those days. We remember them fondly and living too much in the past is a dangerous way to go. Dangerous for US. I’m pretty sure there was an episode of Twilight Zone about this … not Burgess Meridith. Someone else. Remind me if you remember what I think I remember. You see? It’s dangerous.

2. Doobster418 November 18, 2014 / 10:27 am

I clearly remember all of those “good old days” you talked about. It’s remarkable how our minds seem to filter out all of those not-so-great things about the “good old days” and only recall fondly those aspects of them that made them seem like the “good old days.”

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:01 pm

Time throws a fuzzy curtain and the bad parts get all soft and romanticized out of existence. I apparently have the wrong kind of memory because I remember trying to find a doctor for my friend so she wouldn’t wind up dead of some hideous infection … and how the real estate agent looked at me when we were selling our first house and said “White only, of course?” and being horrified and saying “Green only. This house sells to anyone with the money to buy it,” but of course I doubt he ever showed it to a non-white buyer. Those good old days. Yup. I remember very well.

3. Soul n Spirit November 18, 2014 / 10:35 am

I don’t know why wordy wants us to dig into past every time.. 10 years younger was good enough and now these silly prompts are getting too much to handle. Hats off to you to manage all the time so differently. Good to know about your mom otherwise I used to think why my mom behaved like a boss ! 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:03 pm

I’ve pretty much had my full dose of nostalgia for now. Maybe as the holidays roll around, I’ll get all misty or something, but for now. Enough.

4. Tish Farrell November 18, 2014 / 11:16 am

Right on, Marilyn. If we aren’t appraising the past in order to improve the present, then we don’t need to go all gooey about it. Nostalgia is a corrosive inclination, and I say this as one guilty as the next person of having little yens for non-existent pastoral idylls. But you are so right. We have enough on our plate NOW. If we don’t use what we truly know about the past to switch on/wise up/stop deluding ourselves – where will we end up?

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Corrosive. Good word for it. I think it’s also dangerous, especially as we get older. We distort the past and don’t like the present so we try and live in a past that never existed.

5. Martha Kennedy November 18, 2014 / 11:30 am

I don’t like the prompt, either. I gave it to John Hartford who did a good job with it! When I think of nostalgia, I think of 100 Years of Solitude in which a whole village died of the sickness of nostalgia.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:06 pm

I think fake memories of the past make people unwilling to deal with the present and that’s unhealthy. I didn’t like the prompt, but I reworked basically the same material I used a couple of weeks go for the same prompt — and I didn’t care for it then, so I didn’t care for it again this time.

6. granonine November 18, 2014 / 12:02 pm

I really did have a good childhood. It wasn’t until later that I began to understand not everyone lived as I had; that there were real monsters, and they weren’t under the bed. That’s part of the reason I do the work I do–to help people deal with their monsters, past present and future.

Maybe I’m too new to the blogging world, to Wordy, to see that there are lots of repeat themes here. Maybe, even after 67 years of living in thisk broken world, I’m still just too naive. I don’t know. I enjoy the prompts because they help me look at things from a different perspective. And I enjoy reading what others have written.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:16 pm

About every two weeks, there’s a “remember your good old days” prompt. I’ll do it once … do another version … but by the third rerun of the good old day nostalgia, I’m good old days’s out. Because one person’s good old days is another person’s nightmare. Time to move on to living in the present and dealing with reality. I do not begrudge other people their memories, but enough of that hike down memory lane. Let’s take a clear look like the life we really are living. Here and now.

Your recognition that your childhood was not everyone’s’\ is a great start. Too bad so few people are able to make that connection.

• granonine November 18, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Yes, I can agree that not all of us enjoyed a positive childhood. While mine wasn’t perfect, I don’t think I’d trade it for anyone else’s. And nostalgia can certainly be overdone, which is why I chose right now to be my salad days 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:47 pm

I like playing “remember” as well as the next old person … but my good old days weren’t perfect — or even close. There’s a lot of stuff going on right now that’s pretty interesting. Time to move on, writing wise at least 🙂

7. angloswiss November 18, 2014 / 12:08 pm

Farewell past, hello present and future – no, just poodle along as usual (as my 99 year old dad said yesterday when I called him). Daily Prompt are you collecting information to publish when we get our prizes? I have been here and done it so many times, I am running out of ideas. There will always be something wrong, but c’est la vie I would say. so let’s just let the good times roll.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 12:19 pm

Yes, memory lane is getting to be a well-worn path. I’m had about as much of that scenery as I need. Let’s do something else. A new idea would be very welcome. Any time now. Really. Because I can’t come up with another way to say the same thing three times in two weeks. I’m just not clever enough.

8. Raewyn's Photos November 18, 2014 / 1:36 pm

Interesting post. I don’t like looking back too much. My childhood memories are that good and if I focused on them too much it will poison what I feel today. It hurt me then, but it can’t hurt me now. I am now having to care for my parents. How they treated us as children was normal back then. They didn’t know any difference. So we can’t judge them according to our standards today. So we need to move on. 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 3:14 pm

Mainly we need to move on. I get tired of senior citizens that can’t get past their childhood. Maybe it was awful. Mine was. But it was also more the 50 years ago. Definitely time to move on.

9. bobmielke November 18, 2014 / 2:46 pm

Being 65 I had just entered the Air Force in July of 1969 when we put the first man on the moon. I was in basic training in San Antonio, TX.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2014 / 3:12 pm

That was a VERY good year, no matter where you were, except maybe Vietnam.

10. DailyMusings November 18, 2014 / 7:24 pm

Thanks once again for a wonderful and hit the nail on the head post. These prompts are ridiculous- and I also thought when reading it I had seen it before. Let’s move forward WordPress… really!

11. Lucy Camp November 22, 2014 / 9:02 pm

You and I both touched on playing outside unsupervised – I was only ten years old in the mid-70’s and was focused on having a great childhood. Highlighting the not-so-good-old-days certainly made me stop and think and I totally agree we should be focussing on making today better.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 22, 2014 / 9:11 pm

Thanks. I’m not saying the past was all bad. No time period is all bad — or all good. But living in the past and romanticizing it is unhealthy. The only time we really own is now and if we waste it, we have nothing.