EXTRA EXTRA! FREE GRAY MATTER HERE!

Brain Power - Let’s assume we do, in fact, use only 10% of our brain. If you could unlock the remaining 90%, what would you do with it? If I had all that spare brain power, I would donate it to a fund. A brain pool from which people who have too little intellect can get enough extra … Continue reading EXTRA EXTRA! FREE GRAY MATTER HERE!

Heaven, Hell and ESL – The First Job pt.2

In Part I of his story, Beasley Green wrote about the Hell of ESL. This, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.

I have failed at jobs. Most of those jobs were short-lived and I knew from the get-go that I was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. For me, for everyone. Sometimes it was a cultural mismatch: they wanted someone else. I was too “me” for them. Too loud, too talkative, too funny, too interactive, not interactive enough. Just all the way around wrong.

And sometimes, you show up. It is obvious they hired you without clarifying in their own minds what they expect from you. There’s no desk, no office. No job description. No title. They aren’t sure what department you work with or who you report to.

The sense of foreboding and doom this engenders is hard to describe. No horror movie heroine, going down into the basement with only a lighted candle, ever felt more likely to be eaten by a monster. And now, here’s Part 2: Heaven, Hell, and ESL.

Beasley Green

In most of my working experiences I have been welcomed quite warmly by the boss. In the first couple of weeks of my job the boss would typically offer a reassuring smile and enquire as to how I was settling in. I believe this is standard practice in most civilised work places; it’s certainly something that I have always done with the new employees who have joined me. The Curriculum Manager at Manchester Adult Education Service (MAES) was a towering, upright, scruffy, Northern Irishman who for all the world looked like an old, bitter, greying version of Beaker from the Muppets. He was as welcoming as herpes. If being dour was an Olympic sport then this man would be the Usain Bolt of dourness; but it isn’t, and it shouldn’t be an attribute of anyone in a management position whose role should be to not only effectively organise, but also…

View original post 1,847 more words

TIDBITS FOR CEE’S ODD BALL PHOTO CHALLENGE

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: 2015 Week #2 What's odd? What not so odd? I'm not entirely sure any more. So I went poking around my files to see what was lurking there and here are a few things I found. From dead flowers in a vase, to negative snow on twigs ... all of … Continue reading TIDBITS FOR CEE’S ODD BALL PHOTO CHALLENGE

EVERYONE IS ANGRY

Rage is sweeping the nation. Fury is in the wind. The fire of anger is fueled by an Internet full of lies and innuendo intentionally created to raise the temperature of our national dialogue until no dialogue is possible. By television news that isn't news. And by rumors and misinformation spread person-to-person as if it were … Continue reading EVERYONE IS ANGRY