EATING SOCIAL

Food is about color, texture and scent. Meals are sharing with friends, celebrating life and getting together with the family. We make dinner with a side dish of memories. Dining is discovery — the exotic and new. It’s about comfort and familiarity. Being safe, warm and fed. The act of preparing food evokes memories.

Nutrition is good, but food is better. Feeding your soul, filling your heart as well as your stomach. Pills might keep you alive, but they would never satisfy you. Or at least, never satisfy me. Eating is living.

So break bread with those you love. Drop by the pub after work and share a cold something with the gang. Or alone, in contemplation, with a book.

18 thoughts on “EATING SOCIAL

1. nonsmokingladybug August 21, 2015 / 11:31 am

Great pics..now I am hungry. I think it’s all about it. I haven Italian soul, I can read through cookbooks for days, it brings me pleasure to cook for friends. Preparing a great feast brings joy to my heart, seeing the people I love eating what I cooked makes me happy. The preparation, the smell, the colors and the presentation…all together it’s just yummy.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2015 / 11:36 pm

The real payback for cooking is seeing the enjoyment others get from it. I don’t really like cooking anymore, but I still enjoy the pleasure it gives others.

• nonsmokingladybug August 22, 2015 / 9:37 am

I don’t like the every day rush-hour-cooking, but I like it at the weekends and on special occasions.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 22, 2015 / 10:03 am

I’ve reached the point where after 50 years of cooking, I’m very very happy to eat other peoples’ stuff!

2. angloswiss August 21, 2015 / 1:15 pm

I don’t know any other way to exist. It begins with breakfast, continues with dinner which I cook, and finishes with the evening meal that Mr. Swiss almost always prepares. Now and again son No. 2 might drop in on a surprise visit or invites might happen. I don’t like prepared food, like to make it myself that I know what it includes. Not that I don’t enjoy a hamburger or junk food, all in its place and time. If I am on a holiday, then fast food does it for me, but at home, the kitchen is more than a kitchen, it is a room to live in and indulge in composing a food concert.Your tomatoes look so natural and fresh

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2015 / 11:33 pm

Sharing food, breaking bread, has always had more importance than mere sustenance. In every culture, in all parts of the world. Regardless of religion. No pill could ever replace it nor should it. Until everyone stops talking and we start texting from birth !

3. Soul n Spirit August 21, 2015 / 2:37 pm

And I thought you were away from internet world. I knew and was expecting your post as usual. Very well said. It is true in every sense and your picture convey the massage so clearly. I can’t think of surviving on pills. Food is the essence of life.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2015 / 11:29 pm

No one is ever very far from the Internet unless you are really far from civilization. I have been away from both my computer and my telephone … and that’s been great. I’m too tired to do anything much now, but soon.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2015 / 11:27 pm

I was. I am. But wifi is ubiquitous and late at night, I take a look to see what’s going on. I can’t answer everyone … and I don’t think I will EVER catch up with my email. But it’s nice to see that I can take a few days off and the world keeps turning.

• Garry Armstrong August 22, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Judy, Marilyn came back. A woman like her..came back to a place like this. Why?

4. Raewyn's Photos August 21, 2015 / 7:52 pm

Great photos and yes, eating is to be enjoyed, and not merely to nourish us

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2015 / 11:35 pm

It’s not just the food. It’s the companionship. That’s why people who live alone often have so much trouble eating properly.

• Garry Armstrong August 22, 2015 / 12:28 pm