POLITICS. BAH. HUMBUG.

Election - 2016_election_banner_1

*EARWORM*

Garry and I had watched about 7 minutes of the final (?) Republican pre-nomination debate. We found ourselves engulfed … overwhelmed … by a sense of impending doom. Is it just us?

“Are these really the best and brightest the G.O.P. … the party of Lincoln … can proffer to the American people? This is it? As good as it gets?”

“And Trump … is he merely the worlds biggest asshole or is just playing a cruel game with us. Surely he can’t be that vain or that stupid,” added Garry.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.” Robert Hanlon said that, I pointed out.

Garry nodded. I nodded back. There was no point in discussing it. We’d just get morose and depressed. Politics. Bah. Humbug.

31 thoughts on “POLITICS. BAH. HUMBUG.

1. Emilio Pasquale December 29, 2015 / 12:17 pm

Well, at least you made it through 7 minutes! The problem is that Hillary does not seem any better.

• Garry Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 12:27 pm

Emilio, it’s so very scary. Plays like a bad movie but it’s real.

• Emilio Pasquale December 29, 2015 / 12:58 pm

That’s what scares me, too. The problem with Trump is that I don’t think he’s a misogynist. I believe he hates all people no matter their sex color or beliefs. He is a super egocentric narcissist. That’s about the strongest description I can come up with, without resorting to swearing!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2016 / 4:07 pm

I wonder if he hates or loves anyone except himself. You are right, I think, in saying he’s a narcissist. I think he is in the purest sense of the word. I don’t think he quite realizes anyone else exists outside himself. I really hope he disappears. Sooner would be best. Now would be GREAT.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 2:04 pm

I think she really IS better, but she has been hiding and letting the others kill each other off. I don’t know that it’s necessarily a good strategy, but I don’t know what would be better. It’s that sense of impending doom that bothers me most.

2. judyt54 December 29, 2015 / 12:48 pm

There was a terrifying moment some weeks ago when Sarah the Palin seemed about to join –was it Trump?–as a vice presidential candidate. oh my stars. No woman of a certain age should still be wearing what looks to be the same hair she probably had in her graduation photos…

Trump scares me because he is so good at what he does. He reads his audience, and talks to them. Level. Not i am presidential, not I am rich, but I am just like you guys. And he tailors his language and his beliefs to the audience. He has been pro abortion anti abortion, pro taxes anti taxes, pro this and anti the same thing, for so many years no one really knows where he stands or why. They just applaud.
    And we could for the first time in history be inaugurating someone wearing a red baseball hat.

Hilary needs to be put away somewhere. We are actually seeing a real presidential contest between a crook and a bigot/thief whatever and they are leading. leading.
    My husband listens to all of it, I put ear buds in and listen to Mark Knopfler.

I don’t want to feel responsible for electing either one of them.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 2:03 pm

I think most sane people feel the same way. We certainly do. It’s worrisome at the least, damned frightening at worst.

3. swo8 December 29, 2015 / 12:58 pm

It’s not just you, most of Canada shares that sense of doom. You gotta do better than that. The US has such global influrence it terrifies me to think that any of those girls/guys will be your president.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 2:02 pm

Because Trump is paying the bills on his campaign and NOT taking contributions, even the Republican Party has very little control over him. However, it’s still a very long road between being popular on the campaign trail a year before the elections … and getting nominated by the party, much less elected by the people. I’m trying to keep perspective.

4. Raewyn's Photos December 29, 2015 / 1:24 pm

It is interesting to watch all this from afar. We have several political parties and they each have elected leaders from within their parties. So at the moment National is running our country ( more republican) and it’s leader is our prime minister. The Labour (Deomocratic) party is the opposition with it’s leader as well. The ruling party has a cabinet where the members are in charge of different portfolios – for instance police, education, health, transport and so on. The Opposition has a shadow cabinet – identical except they have no say. It is their job to control those in power by commenting on different policies etc. I just read it all and move on.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 2:00 pm

The parliamentary system has some significant advantages over our electoral system. Some disadvantages, too. I think in the end, they balance each other out … and neither system can protect itself from being taken over by morons. We’ve seen that internationally many time over. It never stops scaring the crap out of me.

5. omniclassic December 29, 2015 / 1:32 pm

You’d think that, in an ideal world, the collective stupidity of the Republican party candidates would insure their failure in a major election. None of these people have shown the ability to lead, what used to be, the most powerful and insightful nation in the world.., I think? All told, the worst case scenario scares the b’ jeezus out of me. I look at Trump as entertainment, confirming the rumors that the Republican party has gone all “show biz.” But.., what if?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 1:58 pm

I know exactly what you mean. And because he is self-funded, no one has a handle on him. Yikes.

• omniclassic December 29, 2015 / 7:50 pm

You gotta admit that he definitely has an edge there.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2015 / 1:35 am

You mean being incredibly wealthy and trying to buy the presidency? Yeah. An edge.

6. Taswegian1957 December 29, 2015 / 3:04 pm

It seems as if the lunatics are taking over the asylum everywhere. It depresses me that people fall for a big slogan instead of thinking about policies and what they might mean if implemented. The idea of someone like Donald Trump as POTUS is pretty scary but I take it seriously because we were stupid enough to elect a party lead by one of the stupidest men ever to enter Australian politics and for our trouble got the most mean spirited, greedy government we’ve ever had. But what really worries me is that people may be stupid enough to vote for them again next year. It’s getting harder to be an optimist.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 4:13 pm

It gets harder to believe that any system would work because the incredible gullibility and stupidity of the electorate can’t be controlled by any system. I get a headache thinking about it.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 29, 2015 / 6:39 pm

I think it is how a great many people feel … and I wish I could think of a way to not feel so bad about the body politic. It is deeply disturbing.

7. Rick December 29, 2015 / 8:03 pm

I don’t like any of the candidates on either side.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2015 / 1:32 am

I dislike some less than others. I’m not thrilled with the choices either.

8. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread December 30, 2015 / 7:51 am

When I look at the candidates on both sides, I think we should either leave the seat vacant for the next four years or nominate Snoopy and Woodstock. If we ever wondered what the cost of the evolving process and the millions spent on a candidacy today, here’s the answer – this list of folks. And, Donald Trump has to be the photo next to the old line of ‘ugly American.’ It’s depressing.