QUOTING THE QUOTE

Since pretty much everyone has a favorite quote, I’m happy to tell you mine. It is both funny and a good reminder to not always assume that someone is out to get me.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. — Robert Hanlon

What seems incredibly stupid is most likely not a cabal or a plot. Much more likely that it is stupidity or ignorance. Because malice requires intent and planning, but stupid comes naturally.

Not that I don’t believe in evil people out to get me or you. There are more than enough mean people, trolls, rumor-mongers, and ill-wishers. Occasionally, the “bad guys” intrude on my world.

72-Stupid-MAR-Sunday-011016_107

Mostly, you get ignorance from people who ought to know better, but are unwilling to learn. Stupidity is special to those too dumb or thick-witted to learn.

I use this quote as the signature line on my email. I just never imagined “stupid” would be a potential leader of my country.

Never imagined that part.

29 thoughts on “QUOTING THE QUOTE

1. Garry Armstrong January 27, 2016 / 11:47 am

I never imagined stupid would have such legs. To be fair, stupid is the legion of morons giving longevity to this person in the national political spotlight.
    I hope he doesn’t get elected, but nominated really good.

2. Sean Munger January 27, 2016 / 11:48 am

This quote is not only great practical advice, it’s an ironclad axiom of historical interpretation as well!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 27, 2016 / 2:54 pm

Yes, though I hadn’t thought of it that way. Stubborn stupidity has doomed entire civilizations.

3. kirizar January 27, 2016 / 11:56 am

In keeping with the ‘politics shall doom us all’ I will post my favorite quote:

“Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.” Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley

It’s about the hubris of leaders who believe they are all-powerful, all-conquering, and invincible. Here’s hoping Trump meets the same comeuppance as Ozmandias.

4. swo8 January 27, 2016 / 12:39 pm

My quote would be – “he who does nothing never makes a mistake” . Don’t know who said it, but one is also inclined to make a few stupid mistakes along the way.

5. Raewyn's Photos January 27, 2016 / 2:10 pm

There is always the Forrest Gump line – ‘stupid is as stupid does’

• Marilyn Armstrong January 27, 2016 / 2:51 pm

Yup, only Garry always says “pretty is as pretty does” because for him, dumb trumps pretty. He likes “smart.”

6. momshieb January 27, 2016 / 9:56 pm

Time to imagine it, my friend……

• Marilyn Armstrong January 27, 2016 / 11:33 pm

Not yet. I’m still waiting for the GOP to implode and cancel each other out. I think there’s a good chance of a good old-fashioned political feeding frenzy.

• momshieb January 28, 2016 / 8:45 am

Wouldn’t THAT be fun? (I definitely have my dark side…..)

• Marilyn Armstrong January 28, 2016 / 10:48 am

I think we all have a dark side … and YES. It would be more popular than the Super Bowl!

7. lifelessons January 27, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Ha!!! How “you” this quote is, Marilyn. Of course, I don’t mean you are either stupid or malicious–I mean it just seems to be a perfect expression of your point of view. Claro–.because you chose it!! So much for stating the obvious.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 28, 2016 / 11:01 am

I’ve always liked it. It explains so much. Because sometimes, when I think the world is ganging up on me, I realize “the world” is stupid and that would require way too much planning for “them.” Whoever “they” are.

I’ve been asking who “they” are since I was a kid. Anyone have an answer yet?

8. omniclassic January 28, 2016 / 12:13 am

I don’t remember who first said this but I love it; “Your arms are too short to box with God”

• Marilyn Armstrong January 28, 2016 / 10:58 am

That IS a good one and I’ve never heard it before. Excellent. I think I’ll steal it!

9. LensScaper January 28, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Great quotes. Here’s another that I used to quote to some of my patients who were getting older and more sedentary and giving up: ‘use it or lose it’. Always spoken in the kindest of ways, I assure you!