ODDLY, IT’S ALMOST HALLOWEEN – GARRY ARMSTRONG

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: 2016 Week 42

Our house from the street. Spooky enough for you?
Our house from the street. Spooky enough for you?

It’s less than a week to Halloween. Not much happening at this end of town. We’re too far off the beaten path for wee ghosties and goblins. Besides, it would involve too much walking between houses … and it is a bit scary with no streetlights or sidewalks. It’s dark . There are creatures living in those woods.

A better choice?
A better choice?

Thus, in the years we’ve lived here, we’ve never had a trick-or-treat request.

72-halloween-uxbridge-town-autumn-ga-10122016_055

When we lived in Boston, we would finally close the shop and turn off the light after we ran out of all 20 pounds of candy we’d bought. These days, we don’t buy any. Even when Kaity was living here, she went to town to get the goodies.

72-halloween-uxbridge-town-autumn-ga-10122016_061

I hope you have your fangs packed and are ready to go for a howl, because it’s Halloween … soon!

The child's first Halloween?
The child’s first Halloween?

cob-banner-oddball

23 thoughts on “ODDLY, IT’S ALMOST HALLOWEEN – GARRY ARMSTRONG

1. slmret October 26, 2016 / 12:12 am

Sounds like a wonderful place to hide from Halloween — I simply have to pretend that I’m away from home!

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:09 pm

“Pretend you’re happy when you’re blue, it isn’t very hard to do..”. Nat Cole popped into my head after reading your comment. Thank you.

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:10 pm

Thanks. Only the dogs know what’s in our front yard.

2. angloswiss October 26, 2016 / 2:30 am

Halloween is not a Swiss thing. They tried to introduce it, probably for commercial reasons, but the population would not buy it. A shame in a way, it would be good photographic material. Even the few decorations you have would be worth it.

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:12 pm

Hi, Mrs. Swiss!! This is also the time of the year when they run all those horror films.
      “Frankenstein”, “Dracula”, “The Wolfman”, etc. I recently watched a reel turkey, “Frankenstein Created Woman”. ‘Orrible but I loved the cleavage on the deranged ladies.

3. Covert Novelist October 26, 2016 / 2:34 am

Very nice job! Loved the little guy and pumpkins. It may pick up soon and there will be so much more “halloween” to shoot. hehe

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Hi, Covert. I’m waiting for Orange Head to declare this as his birthday. Boo!!

4. draliman October 26, 2016 / 3:46 am

I’ve only ever had 2 Halloween visitors and when I opened the door one of them ran away 🙂
    In my village I see the kids go past with their parents but I think they go to the specific houses of their school friends. It’s not such a big thing here.

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Dral, as mentioned, our house is too far off the main road. Local kids do their thing in the middle of town which is easier.

5. Cee Neuner October 26, 2016 / 12:22 pm

When I was a kid and lived in northern Minnesota out in the middle of practically nowhere. Trick or treating was a matter of my parents driving us to house to house. I really like your last photo. Superb.

• Garry Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 1:20 pm

Thanks, Cee. Credit goes to Marilyn for the text.

6. swo8 October 26, 2016 / 1:58 pm

Just think, if you bought some Halloween candy, you could eat it all yourselves without worry.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 5:04 pm

Which is exactly WHY I don’t buy it. I would eat it. All of it. No guilt, but lots of nasty blood sugar issues and an urgent need for new pants because the old ones “shrunk in the wash.”

7. Alice October 26, 2016 / 3:12 pm

Somehow touching to have all that fun and time to decorate without an audience of trick or treaters. Art.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 26, 2016 / 7:39 pm

In town, there are kids trick or treating. Just not out here where the sidewalks and streetlights don’t exist.