THE BLUDGEON VERSUS THE RAPIER

The English language has well over a million “official” words in its dictionary and probably another twenty thousand or more unofficial, idiomatic, and/or regional words that are used by specific groups and have meanings yet to reach any dictionary.

There is nothing you cannot say in English using real words. You can make yourself heard while speaking a language other people will recognize. Not only will this not diminish your communication, it will enhance it while lending you credibility with other literate people.

If there is nothing you can say without insulting and hurting people? Without hate speech and slurs? Best say nothing.

rapier-swept-hilt-fance

Hate speech and bullying isn’t freedom. It’s hate speech and bullying. It is always ungrammatical and makes my brain itch. Everyone recognizes the invisible lines of what’s acceptable speech and behavior and what isn’t. I think we know this much by the time we get to first grade. The people who regularly cross these lines know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. It isn’t lack of education. It’s lack of empathy for others and that, sadly, is a disease for which there is no known cure.

The speech of the bludgeon or truncheon is no accident. Those who speak thuggish do it with full intent. It’s wrong. You can argue this point until the cows come home. It will remain wrong.

One of the things I’ve always admired about the British upper class — maybe the only thing I admire about the British upper class — is their ability to be perfectly polite while verbally eviscerating their opponents. It’s an art form. They at least understand that a rapier — a sharp, precise tool — is a better weapon than a bludgeon. And usually leaves less of a mess.

If you have to join the fray, put away the bludgeon. Give the rapier a try.

BLUDGEON | THE DAILY POST

26 thoughts on “THE BLUDGEON VERSUS THE RAPIER

• Marilyn Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 4:17 pm

Thanks. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on it. This was a quickie.

1. angloswiss November 2, 2016 / 2:16 pm

The British upper classe never really impressed me as they often did not realise that they were living in a real world.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 4:17 pm

True. But they sure do use the language well. About the only thing they really DO well, far as I know.

2. Garry Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Serial rapier merc in Midsomer Manor.

3. Covert Novelist November 2, 2016 / 3:32 pm

Exceedingly well said. Especially as many try to bludgeon others into following their path. Simpler, easier, better received to suggest, ask, let the recipient figure out what works and what doesn’t. Either they will see the light, or they won’t. Pertaining to ideas and right and wrong. As yo usay, lack of empathy is what turns the tide.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 4:18 pm

I just want to hear people use real words again. I miss whole sentences.

• Covert Novelist November 2, 2016 / 5:12 pm

I know, exactly! People are becoming lazy in my opinion. They shorten everything down to omg lol etc and any other word they can think of, they shorten or use two or three words to express “something” I know not what! because it doesn’t “speak” to me! lololol there I did it too haha

4. swo8 November 2, 2016 / 6:46 pm

I’m not one for the verbal barbs. I just turn my back and walk away.

• swo8 November 3, 2016 / 10:30 am

No, it isn’t always an option, but when it is an option it can work very well.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 3, 2016 / 12:48 pm

I usually don’t encourage disputation, but sometimes, a good reasonably civilized discussion reminds me that it’s possible to not agree without resorting to name-calling and personal viciousness. Especially now!

• swo8 November 3, 2016 / 4:13 pm

Yes we don’t need that now.

5. Emilio Pasquale November 2, 2016 / 6:49 pm

The only problem with your argument is that the people who really should heed this, probably have no idea what a rapier or a bludgeon is. The visuals help, but go only so far! 😉

• Marilyn Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 9:23 pm

I know. I’m forever preaching to a choir … and they aren’t listening either. No one listens to anyone anymore.

6. loisajay November 2, 2016 / 7:19 pm

Interesting frame of mind you are in, Marilyn. Enjoyed this.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 2, 2016 / 9:25 pm

I’ve been embroiled in customer service battles for two weeks. I’m beat. Brutalized. Exhausted. And I wish the election would be OVER … but I have a funny feeling that even when it’s over, it won’t be over.

• loisajay November 3, 2016 / 7:52 am

I totally agree with you on that. Sickening thought, too. The election that will not end.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 3, 2016 / 12:49 pm

I think no matter who is elected, it won’t really be over. Not until we do something about how we elect presidents. This was so bad … and so wrong.

7. draliman November 3, 2016 / 3:44 am

Your last point is one of the reasons I like watching period dramas. I love how they all sit round at dinner, all smiles, while delivering the most devastating comments.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 3, 2016 / 12:50 pm

Even knowing they have scriptwriters to help, I love it too. I sit there saying “Ouch, THAT hurt” while laughing. If you did that here, no one would even know they’d been insulted.

8. Martha Kennedy November 3, 2016 / 7:11 pm

I think any act of evisceration should be done politely.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 3, 2016 / 10:49 pm

Absolutely. And it’s so much more fun when the victim doesn’t even know it’s happening until it’s over.

• Martha Kennedy November 3, 2016 / 11:29 pm

I’ve enjoyed a 4 part series called “The Plantagenets; England’s Bloodiest Dynasty,” you know, something to cheer me up while this election BS is going on.