THE CALM BEFORE THE STORMS OF WINTER

Thursday’s Special: Calm

CALM: Noun

1. Quiet and peaceful state or condition.
  2. Peaceful mental or emotional state.
  3. Complete absence of wind, or presence of wind having a speed no greater than one mile (1.6 kilometers) per hour. Also, a period or condition of freedom from storms, high winds, or rough activity of water. (“The calm before the storm.”)
  4. Tranquility.

I wanted to pick just one picture, but somehow, I wound up with three. All taken on a single afternoon in the Blackstone Valley, along the River or Canal. October is the most flamboyant and colorful month. November is typically cool. Quiet. Peaceful. Tranquil.

The quintessential calm before the storms of winter.

At River Bend along the Blackstone River, November 8th.
At River Bend along the Blackstone River, November 8th.
Along the Blackstone, November 8th.
Along the Blackstone, November 8th.
November 8th by the Canal in Uxbridge.
November 8th by the Canal in Uxbridge.

20 thoughts on “THE CALM BEFORE THE STORMS OF WINTER

1. slmret November 18, 2016 / 12:37 am

Calm — lack of flamboyance (i.e. lack of colorful leaves). This is perfect as a prelude to winter!

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 1:11 am

November in the city was drab, but out here, it’s actually lovely. A bit more somber than October, but lots of bronze and gold and gleaming waters. And it’s not particularly cold yet (usually). A good month.

• Garry Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 10:46 am

You said that word..about that season on the not so far horizon.

2. Paula November 18, 2016 / 2:37 am

November looks pretty good and colourful still with a generous, bright sky. Have a peaceful day, Marilyn and thank you so much for this lovely offering.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 11:48 am

You are very welcome and thank YOU. Living where we do, I have so many pictures of peaceful waters. Many of them look very similar because I shoot the same scenes over and over. Some are amenable to varying angles, but others … well … there are only a small number of places to stand, so the pictures do tend to look rather alike 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 11:49 am

There are benches and a few picnic tables nearby. It’s parkland, so no comfy chairs … but the benches are not bad 🙂

3. Rose November 18, 2016 / 1:50 pm

Love that third picture! I need to take pictures of my trees out front — they are the brightest orange!

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 5:56 pm

I always love the way the canal looks with the autumn leaves floating on it. Everything is bronzy red today.

4. swo8 November 18, 2016 / 3:20 pm

It’s a day to relish.

• swo8 November 18, 2016 / 5:59 pm

Now we can all enjoy your day, Marilyn.

5. Martha Kennedy November 18, 2016 / 4:25 pm

Beautiful day and beautiful photos! I feel like I’m there. We got a blast of snow yesterday, gone by afternoon, much to Bear’s dismay, but now it is cold — 12 at night, 31 now. It will get a lot colder, but it’s OK with me. The air is like a crystal and the peaks are white.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 18, 2016 / 5:54 pm

It was warm today, but November is weird. It’ll be cold one day, warm the next, below freezing at night but shoot up to nearly 60 in midday. It has been consistently cold at night, though. That’s always a telltale marker. Sometimes we get snow before the month is out. But sometimes, we get nothing until February. One year — I think two years ago — we had NO snow until mid February … then got 12 feet in the next six weeks. You never can tell around here. New England is fickle 🙂

6. Heyjude November 19, 2016 / 9:16 am

Beautiful autumn photos – I love the light in autumn afternoons when the sun is low and the shadows are long. You have captured this wonderfully.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 19, 2016 / 12:54 pm

Thank you. It’s a beautiful time of day, though photographically, a bit challenging. The light is a different color and there’s a lot of post-processing adjusting to be done. Worth it, I think. It must be because I keep going back for more 🙂

• Heyjude November 19, 2016 / 2:21 pm

I am very happy that you do 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 19, 2016 / 3:18 pm

The hardest thing is adjusting color. The leaves in all mine and Garry’s photographs came out bright yellow, but they were really rust red or bronze. That’s a very large difference in color.

Adjusting the leaf color changed the sky color to more aqua than blue. I had to make a choice. I chose to fix the leaf color, but to me, the sky looks weird. There are ways to fix it, but i’m not really good at HDR. I should give it another try, but it seems like another big learning curve.

• Heyjude November 19, 2016 / 3:23 pm

This is probably where using filters helps, but I have never used them 😦