BLACK AND WHITE SUNDAY: MONOCHROME MACROS

72-bw-black-crowned-night-heron-juvenile-curley-09222016_106

It’s a black and white kind of day. Grey and chilly. Almost the complete opposite of the weather of yesterday and the day before. It’s the end of the best of the season. Cold is seeping in through all the cracks.

Black & White Sunday: Close up /Β Macro

27 thoughts on “BLACK AND WHITE SUNDAY: MONOCHROME MACROS

1. swo8 November 20, 2016 / 3:08 pm

The black and white does add drama.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 4:06 pm

And sometimes, as with the night heron, clarity. Patterns are easier to see without so many distracting gradations of color. I still don’t really like flowers in black and white, but I keep trying πŸ™‚

• swo8 November 20, 2016 / 4:23 pm

They may not look like flowers in black and white but more like patterns.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 4:47 pm

I don’t think I can do them justice in monochrome. if flowers aren’t about color, I’m not sure what they are about.

• swo8 November 20, 2016 / 5:11 pm

Colour and scent, to me, that’s what they are about.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 5:58 pm

Me too. Which is why I doubt I’m ever going to be really thrilled about flowers in monochrome. It’s not just my monochrome flowers. I’m underwhelmed by everyone’s monochrome flowers. Now, if you could add the scent, THEN you’d have something πŸ™‚

• swo8 November 20, 2016 / 6:43 pm

Oh YES. Especially a rose with scent.

2. DailyMusings November 20, 2016 / 4:02 pm

I do adore that lovely bird- night heron? He shows well in black & white. I just turned my heat up- so windy it is coming in through the walls in this old house

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 4:05 pm

it leaks in under the doors and the dogs don’t close the flap. They like to sit IN the house with their little house outside. I haven’t been able to explain about heat and boilers and the price of oil, but I keep trying πŸ™‚

I think the night heron looks better in black & white than he did in color. The feather pattern is clearer πŸ™‚

3. Covert Novelist November 20, 2016 / 5:18 pm

Your pictures are beautiful. These somehow catch the forlorn of a summer past and autumn present and winter coming. The changing of the guard as it were. The flowers particularly, seem burnt, as if worn out. It’s an incredible depiction of that change and says so much more! More can be read into this set of pictures. About life. Aging, coming of age, changes as we grow older. Beautiful!

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 9:41 pm

Thank you. The garden is totally forlorn right now. But they had a nice, long run. Once the moths died, it was a good summer.

• Covert Novelist November 20, 2016 / 9:57 pm

There is always something interesting in your pictures. Usually subtle which is so intriguing

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 10:12 pm

Thank you. I try. Sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, not so much πŸ™‚

• Covert Novelist November 20, 2016 / 11:42 pm

Actually, I don’t think I’ve seen any yet that don’t tell a story.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 20, 2016 / 11:53 pm

Well, thank you. Because that is what I try to do and I always wonder if anyone but me see it πŸ™‚

• Covert Novelist November 21, 2016 / 1:32 am

I can’t speak for others, but I do and from the comments, I think others do too

4. Paula November 21, 2016 / 2:50 am

Then I chose the right theme for you πŸ™‚ I love the composition with two flowers, but my absolute favourite is your bird against the blown out background. It may be black and white, but your world looks quite attractive to me. Thank you for the fabulous shots!

• Marilyn Armstrong November 21, 2016 / 11:40 am

Thank you. The bird came out really well. I did a little manipulation to increase contrast and blow the background to almost solid white. I wish there was a tool to do that … or if there is, I wish I owned it πŸ™‚ It was fun πŸ™‚