LIMNAL VS. LIMINAL: “I” MAKE A DIFFERENCE

But then, there’s:

LIMINAL
adjective: lim·i·nal

Definition of liminal
1: of or relating to a sensory threshold
2: barely perceptible
3: of, relating to, or being an intermediate state, phase, or condition : in-between, transitional <in the liminal state between life and death — Deborah Jowitt>

Given a choice? I’ll go with the lakes. I like lakes. I’m not sure about the other thing.

72-feed-birds-swans-mar-030816_042

DAILY POST | LIMINAL

19 thoughts on “LIMNAL VS. LIMINAL: “I” MAKE A DIFFERENCE

1. Covert Novelist November 26, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Wow Love those pictures. I love ocean, lake and rivers so obviously enjoy pics of them. These, are spectacular! thank you.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 12:27 pm

Webster Lake — the first one — is a pretty big lake. It’s got a beach, places to picnic and it’s big enough for boats and swimmers and all of that. the other is a big pond along the Blackstone river. It’s pretty big, but very shallow most places. Less than two feet deep and muddy bottom, so it is where many of the birds — the swans, some of the geese, and lots of ducks live and make nests. We have a lot of water around here 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 12:28 pm

True. What’s not to like? This year, there’s water in the ponds, rivers, and lakes. We are finally not in a state of drought. We’ve been running short of water every year for almost a decade, so it’s nice to see the waterways full this fall. First time in many years.

2. Soul n Spirit November 26, 2016 / 1:08 pm

I was waiting for your version of liminal while so many bloggers admitted that they had to look up for it including me and you came up with these wonderful captures of lake. I will also give you company.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 2:06 pm

I had to look it up too. But I typed the word wrong, so I got two definitions, two different (but similar spellings) words. What a difference one little vowel makes,.

3. angloswiss November 26, 2016 / 1:32 pm

Lakes do it any time for me. I had a bit of a problem understanding this one.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 2:05 pm

I was going to skip it. But then I looked up limnal rather than liminal because I AM the typo queen. The rest was easy 🙂 Lakes. I like lakes.

4. swo8 November 26, 2016 / 2:07 pm

Those gorgeous pictures just took my mind off all that snow.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 6:06 pm

It still isn’t real “winter” here yet. It gets pretty cold at night, but it’s in the forties during the day and will be in the fifties probably tomorrow and the next day. The longer the deep cold holds off, the happier I will be.

• swo8 November 26, 2016 / 8:51 pm

It isn’t here yet either. Yup, the shorter the winter the happier I am.

5. helen meikle's scribblefest November 26, 2016 / 5:48 pm

Neither word would trip off my tongue in daily conversation! Computer generated prompt, you think, or WordPress attempt to appear intelligent?

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 6:05 pm

I have NO idea. Maybe they have a dictionary and drop it, and pick the top word on whatever page to which it opens?

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2016 / 8:09 pm

You’re no doubt correct. It’s probably a word generating app, but I have to ask myself … seriously … don’t they know enough words without a computer to pick them? It’s just one word a day. 365 words — single words — in an entire YEAR. Surely anyone has that many words in their vocabulary.

6. evilsquirrel13 November 27, 2016 / 10:07 am

So ice that’s just beginning to form on a lake in early winter is both limnal AND liminal….

• Marilyn Armstrong November 27, 2016 / 12:13 pm

You are so CLEVER. Now, try using both words in one sentence. I go blank trying to think of it!