FLEEING DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH THE BEATLES

I saw this prompt and I thought “Run for your life …” and then went to find the song. Which proved not as easy as I expected. There are a bunch of versions of it by long-forgotten (and deservedly so) groups. A few by the Beatles so bad that I couldn’t even listen to them. Considering the quality of this recording, imagine how bad the rejects had to be.

Let’s flee with the Beatles and run for our lives down memory lane. This is “Run For Your Life” from Rubber Soul (1965), the first of what I believe was the Beatles “great” era.

FLEE | THE DAILY POST

42 thoughts on “FLEEING DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH THE BEATLES

1. Garry Armstrong December 12, 2016 / 12:25 pm

I look at the state of our union and need a play of “Yesterday”.

2. omniclassic December 12, 2016 / 1:24 pm

“Rubber Soul”.., one of my favorite Beatles albums.., but I don’t remember this track being so distorted..??

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2016 / 4:58 pm

This is just a terrible copy. I couldn’t find a better one online. It’s fine on the record.

• omniclassic December 12, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Whew! that was close.., it could have turned into another “Dodgers” thing.., oops! sorry, wrong post. Hit the “post” button too fast….

3. swo8 December 12, 2016 / 2:04 pm

I don’t remember that one.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2016 / 4:57 pm

Rubber Soul is a favorite album and I have it on CD and digitally, too. I’m a Beatles fan. But not ONLY a Beatles fan 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 12:49 am

Yes, but I was just trying to differentiate between downloaded stuff and stuff on physical media.

• omniclassic December 13, 2016 / 1:10 am

You forget, I’m one of those friends very serious about audio. Not to worry though, you’re an artist at heart. Most of the musicians/artists I know have terrible sound systems, but don’t care as long as they can hear the notes etc. properly. They get jumpy when listening to my system as they don’t want another “thing” to worry about like having a great audio system where every mistake will be perfectly reproduced.., forever.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 1:25 am

No, I did NOT forget. I expected a spanking. But seriously, that’s exactly how I feel about it. I hear the music through the imperfections. It’s like listening to Rubenstein perform in his later years. He made mistakes, but it was unimportant. He was a master and you listened through technical errors (which got more common as he aged) to hear the composer speaking. Great sound systems are wonderful, but music is wonderful even with mediocre speakers. The music always takes me away. Which is why I can’t listen to music while I drive, at least not classical music. I’d drive into a bridge abutment 🙂

• omniclassic December 13, 2016 / 1:51 pm

So.., Bach, Beethoven, Brahms.., and then.., BANG!?

• Garry Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 12:06 pm

What?

4. Emilio Pasquale December 12, 2016 / 2:35 pm

This has to be a demo. The final sounds great to me! A great choice for the prompt!

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2016 / 4:55 pm

It was truly what popped into my head when I saw “flee” as the prompt. That and CCR “Run through the Jungle.” If I couldn’t find this one, I’d have looked for that, next. These prompts remind me of music or movies rather more often than stories.

I love most of the Beatles stuff, especially Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, and Abbey Road.

• Emilio Pasquale December 12, 2016 / 7:21 pm

I’d love to get those old albums again. But then I’d have to buy a record player.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2016 / 10:55 pm

I have to admit, I never cared about the differences between vinyl and CD — even though I actually know what the differences are. As far as I’m concerned, there are two ways to hear music: live or recorded.

Recorded music is either good or not. I have friends who are VERY serious about audio and they would beat me with a microphone for saying this, especially since I am in a lot of ways quite musical. I think I just don’t care enough. As long as I can hear it clearly and it isn’t full of scratches, white noise, and static. Or distortion. Like this was. This is sort of the definition of bad sound.

• Emilio Pasquale December 13, 2016 / 6:14 pm

I would want them more for the album covers. You can’t really appreciate a lot of the art when it’s reduce on a CD label.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 1:31 am

My father’s primary business was high-end cartridges for record players. They were terrifyingly expensive 40 years ago. I can’t even imagine how expensive they are now. I’ll look when I feel my heart is up to it!

• omniclassic December 13, 2016 / 2:09 pm

I have a vintage Thorens turntable from the 60s, first introduced late 50s. Swiss, built like a tank, still works and sounds great. It listed for $96 back in the day. You can hardly find one these days for less than $2,000 and there are outfits dedicated to refurbishing them to like new or better condition. So the saying that “what’s old is new again” is pretty graphically illustrated here.., and in 3D. Sit down in your most comfy chair, hold your breath and click that site. It will amaze, but it won’t hurt.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 2:29 pm

That’s what they used at WVHC. Two big Thorens turntables. They were as close to indestructible as audio equipment gets.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 13, 2016 / 6:33 pm

Nope. Thorens. I think they were donated by some radio station that was replacing them with newer ones. That’s how I know the name.

• Emilio Pasquale December 13, 2016 / 6:12 pm

The pointy little thing? I remember cartridges. They were always expensive. That’s probably why my sister would tape a dime or penny to the arm to prevent skipping.

• omniclassic December 14, 2016 / 12:49 am

It had nothing to do with the expense, but rather due to the poor design of most tonearms and their lack of adequate tracking weight adjustment. The penny would increase the mass of the arm and change where the adjustment range could begin.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 14, 2016 / 1:04 am

I knew that. My old man knew cartridges. We used to use a quarter on the old 45 changer so we could dance without the arm flying off the record. We knew it was about weight. It was kind of obvious.

• omniclassic December 14, 2016 / 1:47 am

My reply was for Emilio Pasquale. Sometimes these replies don’t show up where they are supposed to.., WTF?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 14, 2016 / 1:52 am

It’s sometimes weird the way the system posts stuff, but that’s out of my control.

5. vinylstory December 12, 2016 / 2:42 pm