MOPING AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE

MOPE | THE DAILY POST

The little tree is still standing, but it’s no longer the center of the room or of upcoming festivities. Now, it’s the tree of Christmas past and waiting only to go back into storage until next year. Poor little tree. It has such a brief moment of glory. Who can blame it for moping this time of year when it can feel deep in its polyvinyl core, that the end is near. So let us give one last, final cheer for a doughty little tree whose Β life is darkness for 11 months and glory for but one!

14 thoughts on “MOPING AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE

1. Garry Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 1:35 pm

That’s show biz. One day you’re a star. Next day, you’re a has been.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 1:47 pm

Will our little tree sit forlornly by the telephone, waiting for a job offer? Or futilely call his agent 100 times a day, but never get the call-back? So sad, so sad. And (out our front window) … it’s … snowing.

• Garry Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 2:17 pm

Our tree is mumbling, “I usta bee somebody”.

2. angloswiss December 30, 2016 / 1:36 pm

How sad, although you have a real tree-sized tree. Ours is so small we put it on top of the television cabinet, to make sure it did not get lost.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Ours is about 3 feet tall. We’ve got a pretty big table in the living room and it fits easily on it … and when we want it out of the way, it’s small enough to sit on top of the old wood stove. It’s my big-enough-small-enough tree. Not too tiny, but not overpowering as were some of the glorious sequoias of the past πŸ™‚

3. Martha Kennedy December 30, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Hey little tree, look at the bright side. Your entire active life is glory then you retire to renew yourself and prepare your little plastic soul for next time. My tree was in the garage on December 25 because I’d been sick and basically OVER Christmas. It barely had a chance. Some trees have it worse, you need to remember that. Think of all the real trees who die for their chance to be the center of the world for a couple of weeks. You get to come back next year! ❀

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 3:40 pm

I keep telling it to cheer up. It will be back again and not become trash. That’s better than those dying pines we had in the living room for so many years. But it isn’t listening. Too depressed. Maybe I’ll fuss over it a bit and it will perk up.

• Martha Kennedy December 30, 2016 / 4:50 pm

I wonder if it’s actually Marvin, the Neurotic Android, abandoned on our planet and disguised as a tree?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 7:03 pm

Entirely possible. Even likely. Poor Marvin. Poor depressed Marvin. Brain the size of a planet reduced to reproducing tea for pitiful humanoids.

• Martha Kennedy December 30, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Heartbreaking. I wish I had those books around here now… I don’t even know how many times I’ve bought them. I used to read one at the end of every semester. I loved the radio show, too. On tape, though. 😦

4. judyt54 December 30, 2016 / 4:07 pm

well you could get radical and use it as a tree for all seasons: make it a New Year’s tree with paper horns and lights, make it an easter tree decorated with colored eggs and bunnies…

• Marilyn Armstrong December 30, 2016 / 4:31 pm

I tried that in previous years and with a much bigger tree. No one was fooled, least of all, the tree. And, it turns out, it’s really difficult to hang eggs from a plastic tree.

5. draliman December 31, 2016 / 12:47 am

My tree didn’t even make it out of the loft this year, Bah humbug πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2016 / 12:52 am

I put mine away fully decorated with just a bag over it and that’s what I’ll do again this year. It take the effort out of the whole thing. It’s the easiest Christmas I’ve ever had, at least from a decorating point of view.