JANUARY IS THE STRANGEST MONTH – 4 YEARS IN PICTURES

At least in New England, January has the most unpredictable weather patterns of the year. In theory, it’s the deepest of the deep winter months. This is when the icy grip of Jack Frost has his fingers around our collective heart … except … when he doesn’t. Because there’s this thing we call “The January Thaw” when it gets springtime warm, often just after we get a foot or more of snow.

I started SERENDIPITY in February 2012, so my first January was 2013.

JANUARY 2013

Sometimes, January is a month of blizzards. Others, it’s dry. Sunny. Maybe cold, maybe not.

JANUARY 2014

Last January, we were in Arizona … which has got to be the nicest weather they get all year, or at least it feels that way to we who come from more northern climes.

JANUARY 2015

JANUARY 2016

And although the month is just halfway done …

JANUARY 2017

29 thoughts on “JANUARY IS THE STRANGEST MONTH – 4 YEARS IN PICTURES

1. Covert Novelist January 16, 2017 / 12:07 am

I really love these. So wonderful, graphically perfect but with depth and feeling.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 1:47 am

Thank you. I’m trying to make use of some of the tens of thousands of pictures I have archived. I don’t even know I’ve got most of them until I go looking. Good to hear from you πŸ™‚

• Covert Novelist January 16, 2017 / 2:05 am

Good to hear from you, Marilyn. I look for you daily, but Ive been sick, so not here as much as I want to be. How are you?

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 4:01 am

I’m holding my own. If Medicare would pay for asthma medication, I’d be a lot better, but the $400 a month is way too much for us, so I wheeze a lot.

• Covert Novelist January 16, 2017 / 12:40 pm

I’m sorry to hear that Marilyn. I know my pain meds aren’t paid for so I suffer a lot.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 12:53 pm

My doctor just simply put it: “They don’t make it easy for you guys,” by which I have to assume he meant “people on Medicare” and maybe, just people who need help. They don’t make it easy, but this one could actually do me in. Unmanaged asthma is a leading cause of heart attacks and my heart is already under attack. But there’s nothing more I can do about it.

• Covert Novelist January 16, 2017 / 1:18 pm

My daughter has severe asthma (something she inherited from my mother-in-law) and she’s been rushed to hospital on many occasions. I understand completely the concern and worry both for you and your husband. How do you remain calm when you feel that level of concern. I wished I could come up with a solution to help. It drives me crazy that our countries show so little care and concern for the elderly. It’s as if they can’t wait for us to kick off. Harsh but true when you consider the care they give us.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 1:35 pm

I think they DO wish we would just die already. We are so stubbornly clinging to life. Thoughtless of us, isn’t it?

• Covert Novelist January 16, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Yes we are tough old birds. If they invested as much into care as they do the space race and military budgets, they’d have a populas that would thrive, but I get the feeling from all I’ve read, they are only with, Ling to aid those they consider contributors on the wheel and as soon as your usefulness is at an end, so are you. Let’s face it, Kardashians and the like are the sum total of this generations thinking ability, not someone with real smarts to question the status quo. We are the next to last of the thinkers who question what’s going on and why or that see the big picture. I’ve raised my kids to think, but their kids worry me, a lot.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 4:15 pm

I’d like to think intelligence will return to fashion. Things run in cycles, but this is a pretty awful one.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 4:16 pm

Yes. It is. I’ve been writing about this off an on for several years. But I’m preaching to the choir. Those who agree with me, agree with me. The rest don’t read or listen.

• Garry Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 1:49 pm

The pictures often don’t need words. We’re off and running, um slow walking with 2017. It should be interesting.

2. angloswiss January 16, 2017 / 2:19 am

Some wonderful photos. My Janurary photos would be according to the state of the Winter, but gernally by January it is snow for 1-2 mnths fix.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2017 / 2:47 am

Winter may show up at the end of November and hang around until it finally melts in April. More typically, it gets cold at the end of November and we get some snow in December, more in January, but the biggest storms are most often in February, the really big snows of two or more feet. You never know. Sometimes we don’t get much snow. Most years we get around 10 feet. Twelve is not unusual. Every once in a while, we get almost no snow, like last year. Four years ago we had NO snow.

The next winter, we had snow cover November through April and it was bitterly cold, so nothing melted. It kept snowing. This year? So far, so good, but it all depends oh the winds coming down from the arctic.

Right now, it’s cold, but no snow. Fine with me!

3. DailyMusings January 16, 2017 / 5:41 am

love seeing the years- thankful so far there has been little snow, as I know you are too!

4. swo8 January 16, 2017 / 11:58 am

Don’t you just love it when the snow gods forget about us?

• swo8 January 16, 2017 / 1:47 pm

I’m walking on tippy toes.

• swo8 January 16, 2017 / 2:18 pm

I think we are in for another week of mild temperatures.

• swo8 January 16, 2017 / 4:33 pm

We’ve just got a freezing rain alert for tonight and tomorrow morning. It’s suppose to turn to rain later. Yes …much better than snow.