AFTER, THEN BEFORE – BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY

BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY: AFTER & BEFORE

From Paula:

Every Sunday I publish a photo challenge in black and white that I call Black & White Sunday. I usually come up with a fresh theme for it, but this time I want to introduce a recurrent (monthly) theme: after and before where you would show the same Β photo, regardless of the subject, in both monochrome and colour.

Sunset on Aldrich Street. A single car driving down the dark and lonely road.

Ghostly country road as evening comes
Ghostly country road as evening comes

But it’s a very different picture in color.

180-car-sunset-aldrich-st-210117_19c

12 thoughts on “AFTER, THEN BEFORE – BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY

1. Paula January 22, 2017 / 7:11 am

Wow, Marilyn, this is a great edit, but I love the original too. Thank you so much. Have a great Sunday!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Thanks, Paula. It wasn’t a brilliant picture. Kind of ordinary, so for me that was the challenge, to see if I could make it more interesting. Different. Film Noir-ish πŸ™‚

2. Tish Farrell January 22, 2017 / 8:03 am

Definitely the b & w version has the edge. A good touch of ‘noir’.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2017 / 1:25 pm

And that was exactly what I wanted. Thank you for getting it πŸ™‚ Things are getting kind of crazy around here. And we are supposed to be on our way to a birthday party, like sort of NOW, but we aren’t even dressed. Still at our computers!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Yup. We DID make it to the party. it’s just a couple of miles down the road. We were fashionably late. Is that a thing anymore? Remember when it wasn’t cool to be on time? NO idea what’s cool and what’s not these days. Anyway, it was his 64th birthday, so i don’t think cool really entered into it πŸ™‚

3. DailyMusings January 22, 2017 / 10:34 am

The black & white gives it a whole old movie feel. I like it

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Thank you! I was going for “film noir.” It was the car and the headlights that made it work, I think. Good (lucky) timing strikes again.

4. swo8 January 22, 2017 / 1:06 pm

The black and white is sort of ghostly.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Yes, intentionally. Just trying to see what I could do with what was otherwise just a pretty picture. I think it worked pretty well. I got some others — they’ll be up tomorrow — that are sort of spectacular. Just the sunset over that road the goes past our house. I get my shots where I can πŸ™‚