CAN YOU FIND THE WAY?

Cee’s Which Way Photo Challenge – February 8, 2017

THIS JUST IN!

Due to severe weather, all non-emergency Town of Uxbridge offices, including town hall, the library and the senior center will be closed today. Please note that all programs and meetings scheduled in municipal buildings today and this evening are cancelled. Governor Baker has closed all non-emergency state offices today. Please check our website at http://www.uxbridge-ma.gov, Uxbridge cable television and our social media sites on Facebook and Twitter for storm related updates and important emergency contact information. We urge you to stay off the roads today if possible. Thank you and be safe.

Winter arrived with a roar. A literal roar. Thunder woke me this morning. Thunder and the wind moving the tall oak trees in the woods. I awakened to a white-out world. Hard to know how much snow has actually fallen.

180-gate-snow-090217_042

I shoveled the front walk and the area around the stoop so the dogs would have room to move. I shoveled it first around 9 this morning, then around 11. Garry did it again adding a path up the driveway to the car and the back deck — just half an hour ago. It’s covered with snow again.

180-road-front-snow-090217_041

It is snowing very hard, those tiny flakes that mean “serious business” in a snowstorm. Add to that the wind and the thunder and you have … a little blizzard. Little so far. We’ll see how it goes. Could be big blizzard if it hangs around through tomorrow when a second storm is due to arrive.

The snow had just begun when I shot this one. An hour later, it was another story.

Cee which way photo challenge

28 thoughts on “CAN YOU FIND THE WAY?

1. angloswiss February 9, 2017 / 1:46 pm

What an exciting life you lead. First a caterpillar invasion and now a snow storm with all the sound effects. Life is just boring in our Swiss village. The only excitement is when a cow might escape. I loved your photos, that is snow, the real thing. I also noticed on the info from Uxbridge the web site address appeared from the town. You must tell me if Bonnie was entered in the “Paint Your Pet” event on 1st February and what colour you chose.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Bonnie doesn’t do “paint” 🙂 Sometimes, she won’t even do a bandanna. She is very picky about clothing and cosmetics and feels she is quite perfect just the way she is.

It’s snowing very hard and all the shoveling we did? You can’t tell we did anything. Between the falling snow and the wind, it’s as flat and smooth as if no one shoveled at all. February. We’ve had snow on this date almost every year as long as I can remember. They are making a really big deal of this on TV, but we’ve had lots worse. This is just a medium level blizzard.

• Garry Armstrong February 10, 2017 / 11:33 am

We didn’t have a Snowstorm!! That’s rigged news. That’s not snow you see outside but alternative vision.

2. Cee Neuner February 9, 2017 / 1:56 pm

We are under a flood alert. We had over 5″ of rain the past couple of days. Gorgeous snowy wintery ways. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 3:33 pm

When all of this melts, THEN we get the flooding. What we always hope for is a slow melting. Sometimes, we get that, but often, heavy snow is followed by temperature rising and lots of rain.

I guess your drought is over?

3. Covert Novelist February 9, 2017 / 2:53 pm

Our streets have been closed they only opened a highway and one main road, but the others are another story, 1 1/2 of snow. Today its raining with resultant floods. Roads washed out and closed. It’s going to rain for several days apparantly. One dramatic situation to another.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 3:31 pm

We get that a lot in March when we’ve had a bad winter and a lot of snow is piled up, then suddenly, we get heavy rain … and everything, from the rivers to our basement … floods.

Meanwhile, it’s still snowing pretty hard. At least four or five hours to go.

• Garry Armstrong February 10, 2017 / 11:38 am

Covert, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are thundering across the country.

• Covert Novelist February 10, 2017 / 12:48 pm

Yes, yes they are! I’m surprised someone else knows and understand this. My son gets this, but then we talk about all sorts of subjects.

4. Diane Frisch February 9, 2017 / 4:07 pm

Funny, we live in Dallas now. Moved here from the NYC area just over a year ago. Seeing all the snow on FB makes me want to light a fire in the fireplace and start cooking up a storm! Even from this far away… It really is beautiful and peaceful, as long as you are safe at home!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 10, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Yup. Snow is great. When you are well stocked and have a full oil tank or woodpile. Not so great otherwise.

5. DailyMusings February 9, 2017 / 4:50 pm

8 inches here- shoveling every 2 hours – small flakes=big snow! Now the sun is out but it is frigid! Stay warm and safe Marilyn!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 6:08 pm

I think the snow is almost done … except we’re expecting another few inches in a different story tomorrow. I’d say somewhere between 7 and 9. More in Boston, the Cape, and the shore.

6. Bette A. Stevens February 9, 2017 / 6:41 pm

Braving the blizzard behind closed doors today. Tomorrow we’ll be out battling the wind with snowblower and shovels. May spring come early… Stay safe and warm! 🙂 ❤

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 6:47 pm

I’m just hoping it hasn’t turned to solid ice by tomorrow. Because that’ll be the first time we can get a plow over here. We have moved past snow blowing to full plow.

It could have been worse. I think we got less than a foot but with all the blowing, it’s hard to tell for sure.

7. swo8 February 9, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Is it time to post The Winter Blues, Marilyn?

8. evilsquirrel13 February 9, 2017 / 7:08 pm

It was 64 degrees at 7 in the morning when that storm moved through here right when I got off work Tuesday morning. Nasty and stormy we got, but obviously no snow. At least until last night when the cold behind the front gave us a light, light dusting of the white stuff. Thundersnow is rare here… when storms pass through in the winter, it’s usually because it’s unseasonably warm like it was earlier this week. We might catch some snow on the back end of the system, but by that time, the thunder and lightning has moved on…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 10:14 pm

Thundersnow is rare here too. This is probably only the second time in my life I’ve heard it. It was almost 60 degrees yesterday, but overnight the cold moved in … just in time for the storm. Now, we’re in the deep freeze. But this IS the time of year when we get storms and New England gets a lot of snow. We had a mild winter last year and until today, it was an easy one this year. So, whatever happens from here on in, there are only 6 more weeks. Hopefully. Depending on the way the wind blows.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 10:08 pm

We have a huge snowblower, but we also have a plower. The storm lasted until late, so we won’t get plowed out until probably tomorrow afternoon. They’ll get to us, eventually. I just hope we don’t get too frozen before the plow gets here. I really don’t care much for winter.

9. Taswegian1957 February 9, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Well I guess you were not going to escape one good snow this winter. Hope you are stocked up on the essentials, coffee, milk, bread, chocolate and dog biscuits to see you through so you won’t have to go out in it.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2017 / 10:07 pm

I’ve been stockpiling canned goods and dry goods since the summer. Every year, these storms come and we wind up running out of something and we can’t get out. This year, i’ve been careful to keep a reasonably full freezer and a lot of basics, dog food, pasta, rice … and of course, coffee and toilet paper 🙂 We’re good. Except for prescriptions waiting at the pharmacy. But I’ve got enough meds for a week at least. My mother always kept a full freezer and canned goods and i realized, she had a point.