SUNSHINE AFTER THE STORM – GARRY ARMSTRONG

Downtown on the Commons
Downtown on the Commons

300-commons-painting-snow-uxbridge-130217_146

It has been snowing almost continuously since the beginning of the month. We’ve had a day here and there without snow or sleet, but mostly, it has been precipitating. And I’ve been shoveling, then shoveling some more. The last two days we have spent awaiting a plow. There’s no point in plowing while it’s still snowing … and competition for plowing services gets intense.

Late afternoon with the sun low in the sky
Late afternoon with the sun low in the sky
180-downtown-bells-snow-uxbridge-130217_148
The town hasn’t taken down the Christmas decorations yet, so red bells are still in the picture

Finally, in the middle of the afternoon, the plow arrived. And did a pretty good job. I still had to go out and clear off the car. Then I dug out the parking area because there will be sleet tomorrow and the next day and before the weekend, it will be snowing again. If you don’t clear the space, you wind up with ice that doesn’t melt until the flowers are blooming.

The library from the Commons
The library from the Commons
More snow on the Commons
More snow on the Commons

I took the opportunity to  go into town. With the Olympus OM-D EM-5 and a nice 12-50 mm lens. Our little town looked like pictures from the past. If only we could get the pretty part of the snow without the rest of the mess.

300-pen-ink-snow-uxbridge-130217_019

That's me, doing my job, clearing the snow from our parking area. Obviously Marilyn's picture. You knew that, right?
That’s me, doing my job, clearing the snow from our parking area. Obviously Marilyn’s picture. You knew that, right?

20 thoughts on “SUNSHINE AFTER THE STORM – GARRY ARMSTRONG

1. jcalberta February 14, 2017 / 11:15 am

Amazing. Looks like a typical winter in the NE. But in New Brunswick they just got whacked with another ice storm. I tell ya, I wouldn’t put up with that for long. Time to move to someplace that has sensible winters. Arizona? Hawaii? Must be some place?

• Garry Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 12:44 pm

I am just happy to be a retired fart and not outdoors all day, holding a mic in my frozen hands doing live shots with snot frozen to my “joker” face.

2. draliman February 14, 2017 / 11:52 am

The snow looks lovely and smooth and crisp where no-one has walked on it yet.

• Garry Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 12:45 pm

..to go where no man has gone before….

3. slmret February 14, 2017 / 11:59 am

You did a good job of capturing the pretty before the mess!

• Garry Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 12:46 pm

Thank you!! I just kept snapping til my hands looked the color of 45’s face.

4. swo8 February 14, 2017 / 12:55 pm

Surely there’s a plow that you can attach to the front of that Jeep? It does look pretty but what a head ache.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 12:58 pm

Sadly, it’s not that kind of Jeep. It’s the OTHER kind. More like a car. Less like a Jeep. It’s plastic, y’know?

• swo8 February 14, 2017 / 1:01 pm

Drats, I thought it might work.

5. omniclassic February 14, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Yeah, but you have to admit that all that white fluffy stuff is beautiful when it’s new.., then it starts t get dirty and turn a wonderful shade of “grey”, then “brownish,” then an ugly “black” with all manner of foreign matter stuck in frozen animation in it. OK, so Yuck! then.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Less here than in the city, but for all that, I’m pretty tired of snow before it even stops being nice and snowy white. I’ve pretty much had it with winter.

• Garry Armstrong February 17, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Ben, notice there are few pictures of brownish, black (racist?) yucky snow?

6. evelyneholingue February 14, 2017 / 3:07 pm

That’s impressive! Makes for gorgeous photos but definitely a challenge to get out.Take care up there!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Thanks Evelyne 🙂 We are. Winter seems to last such a long time …

7. evilsquirrel13 February 14, 2017 / 10:15 pm

I say the city should keep the Christmas decorations up all year round. Think of the special atmosphere they’ll give Fourth of July celebrations in the summer….

• Marilyn Armstrong February 14, 2017 / 10:22 pm

They usually have them down the day after New Year’s. This year, no one seems to feel like removing them. I have not idea why not.

Sure, they can leave them up. It’s not like there’s all that much going on around here. Kind of like “nothing at all” would be accurate!

• Garry Armstrong February 17, 2017 / 12:54 pm

“Silent Night” on the 4th of July??