COMPUTERS, ICE, WINTER, WHATEVER

Yesterday Garry’s computer up and died. It apparently didn’t die of not having a battery because (are you ready?) — it doesn’t have a battery. It’s got some other weird thing in it. On the positive side, my previously hot computer is still really hot. Aside from having a rather full hard drive left, it is a computer worth fixing. Forever. That is the point of buying a really good computer. If you need to fix it, you can. Meanwhile, it’ll do fine on Windows 7 for at least the next few years.

Hands in motion
Hands in motion

I was doing okay, all thing considered … until my Kindle died. It was one thing over the line. I could cope without my second computer. I wasn’t happy, but I was okay. Garry needed a computer? I had one.

But when the Kindle stopped working, I totally, utterly, lost it. Not that too. It turned out for reasons someone knows (but I don’t), my Kindle was no longer listed on Amazon. None of my audiobooks were listed. There are other Kindles there too, but for some reason, this “main” one seems to be the only one that really counts.

Three hours later, having given up on every possible other thing, we had to de-register, then re-register the Kindle. Then wait while 1,500 audio and regular books … maybe more like 2000 … loaded. That’s a lot of books. A lot of audiobooks. I didn’t even bother to deal with the email. Too much like work.

72-Alien_103014_22

Meanwhile, it tuns out, our guy can fix Garry’s computer. For the $100, it’s cheaper than anything I could buy. Whatever that thing which isn’t a battery is, it’s being replaced. I will use it and let Garry use “the much better one.” I need one on which I can write. A keyboard and a screen. This will be fine … and amusingly, it will be my computer again because it was my computer, then it wasn’t. Now, mine. Again. They come, they go.

I did totally lose it last night. To lose Garry’s computer and then the Kindle in one single day was one thing over the line for me. It’s weird. All kinds of other stuff can happen to me, but losing a computer? That’s where the buck stops. Take away everything, but leave me the WiFi, router, modem … and a computer.

Meanwhile, my granddaughter came over, stayed the night. Leaving her car at the bottom of the driveway. Who leaves their car at the bottom of a long, sloping driveway in the winter? Really? She got it out eventually. We are getting rain for a few hours and Garry’s going to “hit the grocery” while he can. By nightfall, it will be freezing. Everything will turn to ice. Even the computer guy knew not to put his car at the bottom of the driveway. Sheesh.

So, everything will work out. One way or the other. As long as nothing else breaks down.

16 thoughts on “COMPUTERS, ICE, WINTER, WHATEVER

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 10:48 am

Yes, and the older we are, the more so. But today is a flat sort of day. I know they are talking about snow tomorrow. I’m hoping they are wrong.

• Garry Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 11:12 am

Even me — the low, low tech guy — was frightened by the prospect of not having a computer.

Computer drama, weather and colds that won’t go away —

Mother of Mercy!!

1. swo8 February 16, 2017 / 10:28 am

Bad combination – technology and the weather.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 10:49 am

I finally went to bed last night because everything hurt. I woke up this morning and new things hurt, but they hurt less than the things I went to bed with last night. That’s good, right?

• swo8 February 16, 2017 / 11:40 am

I thinks so, – nice to switch things around. (variety is suppose to be the spice of life – or so they say)

2. Keith V. February 16, 2017 / 7:34 pm

Windows 7? [Insert a Bill and Ted “Whoa” here.] Is that version still receiving updates from Microsoft? If not, then the lack of security updates could make your machine vulnerable to attack. Please make sure you backup your files often and scan regularly with anti-malware. I recommend one active malware scanner and periodic scans with other solutions. There is no magic bullet when it comes to dealing with online threats, and given your machine has an older OS that may no longer be supported, I advise the above for extra diligence. As for me, I have several home units (Windows 10 and antiX Linux) that share a common file server. Believe me, the files on the server are backed up every night!

All the best,
    Keith V.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 10:42 pm

They are continuing to update Win 7 through 2020. So no, that’s not the problem. It was a bad whatever it is that isn’t a battery but works as if it were a battery. It’s going to cost $100 to fix it and considering what else is around at that price, I might as well fix it. I bless my backup hard drives. At least I won’t lose all my pictures again.

• Keith V. February 17, 2017 / 12:45 am

Hi, Marilyn.

I wasn’t responding with the intent of diagnosing the issue. Instead, I was acting on the alarm bells that went off in my head once I read that Windows 7 was in use. I am glad that all is well and that my concerns are unfounded.

All the best,
        Keith V.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 17, 2017 / 11:13 am

Well, you WERE right, originally.They were going to squash it, but there was a HUGE eruption from their users and they backed way off. So you were right, but they changed it.

• gethel February 25, 2017 / 9:26 pm

Windows 7 and 8 are still supported by Microsoft. Windows XP, which is older, however, is not supported by Microsoft anymore.

3. wscottling February 16, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Is that your Alienware? Damn, that’s a good computer.
    I hope things work out for y’all. I’d lose it too if my toys started breaking… they’re the only things that keep me sane right now. At least I have yarnwork to fall back on…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 10:43 pm

It was great until today and now it’s back, but one bad download and HOLY SHIT. Seriously. Double whammy holy shit.