LOOKING DOWN TO THE GARDEN WHEREIN LIVE THE BIRDS

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Looking Down at Things

Once upon a time, I looked up to see the birds. These days, because my house is high and brambles are low, I look down on birds. It’s an interesting position. A really long lens is a huge help.

180-junco-ground-birds-022117_-018

Pretty sure it's a junco. Almost sure.

180-bw-junco-birds-2-022117_-008

Brown wren or maybe a warbler? I couldn't tell from my upstairs window, but he was looking for breakfast.
Junco or catbird? Hard to tell for sure from upstairs but I’m betting, it’s a Junco. They seem to live here all year round and are among the first to show up in the earliest days of spring.

Today, there were so many birds all over the backyard. Except by the time I finally got the window up and the camera in hand, many had flown away. I got a few anyway, but I missed some of the fun ones. Next time.

CFFC

18 thoughts on “LOOKING DOWN TO THE GARDEN WHEREIN LIVE THE BIRDS

1. angloswiss February 22, 2017 / 2:08 am

It is interesting to see the different types of garden birds you have to ours.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:25 pm

Some are very similar, others are the same type, but different colors. Yes, it really is interesting.

2. Covert Novelist February 22, 2017 / 2:24 am

Thank you for sharing, birds are so unique to the area they live in.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:25 pm

We’re right on the line between northern and mid-Atlantic birds, so we get a bit of everything, either on it’s way home from Canada, or at the very tip of its northern range.

• Covert Novelist February 23, 2017 / 12:12 am

Sweet deal. Being on the island we don’t get a large variety of birds.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:29 pm

I thought so too. No cap, so Junco. But the two birds look an awful lot alike and some of the immature ones don’t have a cap either. It’s the dark eyes that mostly (usually) give them away 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong February 23, 2017 / 11:31 am

Catbirds are also the ones that fling themselves at the windows in an apparent effort to knock out other similar looking birds. Amazing how many of them get up and fly away afterwards. Strong heads.

3. dcmontreal February 22, 2017 / 6:04 am

Some of my favourite people are birds, please don’t look down on them….

• Garry Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:27 am

That’s BOIDS, D.C.

4. Garry Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:27 am

Nice, fast reflexes to catch the bird.

5. Cee Neuner February 22, 2017 / 11:34 am

I am not good at identifying birds. I do like your photos. Thanks Marilyn for playing.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:27 pm

Thanks Cee. I got better at it with time. i bought a couple of books with pictures. Eventually, I could match some of the pictures to a few of the pictures in the book. it’s good for your eyes, all that feather checking 😀

6. swo8 February 22, 2017 / 12:49 pm

I can hear them sing, Marilyn. They are a delightful sign of something good.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 22, 2017 / 11:28 pm

I ALMOST got a picture of the very loud and extremely musical Carolina sparrow 😉 I actually did get a couple but they were too blurry to use for anything. But what a sound those little guys make!

• swo8 February 23, 2017 / 10:43 am