CENTER OF THE CABINET

Last night, I spent hours looking for something which was where it was supposed to be. On the correct shelf. In front. Right in the center of the shelf. Nothing was hiding it. It wasn’t behind something or turned the wrong way.

I looked there and couldn’t see it. I looked in all the other places it might possibly be. There’s a cupboard in the kitchen and a rack in the other bathroom. Otherwise, it’s one or the other of my medicine cabinets.

72-bathroom-cabinet-081916_005

I searched the kitchen thoroughly , in the process finding and tossing out several bottles and tubes of prehistoric stuff — at least a decade old. I did not find what I was looking for.

Finally, I began to question if the container for which I was looking even existed. I was sure I’d bought two bottles of this stuff. It’s not expensive, so I would normally buy a couple and stash a spare. But maybe I only thought I’d bought a spare. Maybe there was only one.

Before tucking myself into bed, I made one last pass. There it was. In the center of the cabinet. Exactly where I had looked at least three times in the past hour.

72-bathroom-cabinet-081916_001

Despite my tendency to blame it on the dogs or on supernatural wee people, I suspected my eyes had been blind to the container. In its bright yellow box. In bed, I told Garry I had just spent nearly an hour looking for something that was where it was supposed to be and where I had looked several times.

He was sympathetic. “Yes,” he said, “it happens.”

Maybe it really is those pesky, wee brownies, fairies, and pixies messing with me? You think?

CENTER | THE DAILY POST

29 thoughts on “CENTER OF THE CABINET

1. Garry Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 1:01 pm

It happens. More often than you think. Hidden — in plain sight.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 1:51 pm

The clothing in my closet. The lost clothing. It’s hanging where it belongs but I will never find it. It is hopelessly lost in the middle of everything.

2. swo8 February 27, 2017 / 1:06 pm

I think the sock monster might have had something to do with it.

• Garry Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Ah, Leslie, The sock monster. Another international nightmare. Some day, someone will figure out where the socks go in the washing machine or dryer.

Is there a white (racist?) slave market for socks??

• swo8 February 27, 2017 / 2:25 pm

FBL (full belly laugh) I’m sure there is Garry. Actually, I think the culprit is a little more scientific – static electricity?

• Garry Armstrong February 28, 2017 / 1:32 pm

You may be right, Leslie.

3. angloswiss February 27, 2017 / 1:17 pm

I think that happens to people, like us, that have such a high level intelligence quota, that our brains are concentrating on the importance of solving a quantum mathematical problem, or discovering the actual equative meaning of gravity. When you fall to the ground and have to decide on the comparison of mass against balance of the body, or perhaps discovering why the feet are not always attached in the right place to the legs. People, like us, that exist in worlds of advanced thought, really do not have the time to search for a silly object in a cupboard. There are more important problems to solve in life. I am sure you agree.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 1:50 pm

That is the absolutely BEST explanation I’ve ever heard. It explains where neither Garry nor I can ever find anything, no matter how obvious the location might be to some other mortal soul. We are too superior to cope with simple things. Our minds are fixed on the more majestic and important parts of life 😀

• choosingmyperspective February 28, 2017 / 11:31 am

I’m going to try out this explanation the next time this happens to me…and it will.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 28, 2017 / 12:26 pm

There’s no avoiding it. The older you get, the more you forget all those little things.

4. trentpmcd February 27, 2017 / 5:55 pm

I think it’s the pesky wee folk. They’re playing with you. Putting it back where you looked is a favorite game of theirs. It’s even a bigger laugh for them when you give up and your spouse finds it immediately, right where you knew it was.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Ah yes, the old “it was right there where you just looked” trick. I know that one. So does Garry. They toy with us. We need BETTER elves!

• lwbut February 27, 2017 / 10:59 pm

I think you missed off the ‘s'(elves) – you’re welcome 😉

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 7:42 pm

It’s infuriating, especially because, it’s there. I STILL think it’s those pixies. They never quit.

5. judyt54 February 27, 2017 / 10:24 pm

It is one of the reasons spouses were invented. Can’t find the boots. I look everywhere, under the bed, in the bathroom, in the back hall. Nope, not there. My husband comes in and says, ‘what.” “boots”, I say. He does one revolution of the kitchen and says, “over there by the dining room door.” right where I looked ten minutes ago.
    I blame the cats.

It could also be the alternate universe experience–for just a moment what you were looking for was in the Other Universe, being found by Other Marilyn. When she was done it came back, and you got to find it again.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 10:45 pm

Pixies. I’m telling you, they’ve been driving me CRAZY for years. Maybe THEY come from That Other Universe. I mean, who knows, right? Garry and the fridge. It’s not there.

“Yes it is,” I say.
      “It wasn’t there,” he insists.

That’s what mates are for. We find things. We find things that have fallen between the worlds.

6. evilsquirrel13 February 27, 2017 / 10:28 pm

Maybe we enjoy the hunt for things more than we could ever imagine, and sometimes our brain will block out what we’re looking for intentionally so that the search can continue. It’s always in the last place you look, even if you’ve already looked there 100 times…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 10:42 pm

Pixies, damn it. PIXIES!

I’d blame the dogs, but they can’t get into our room. So it has to be other worldly creatures.

• lwbut February 27, 2017 / 11:04 pm

Could i humbly suggest you take a quick trip over to Madelyn’s ADD blog and re-read “Why we hate to change our minds” especially the Cognitive Dissonance bit – you got it BAD babe. 🙂

love.

• lwbut March 2, 2017 / 2:09 am

Not only does it get worse – you SPREAD it!!

Last night i was in a quandry for 30 minutes trying to decide what to have to consume before bed, either a drink or a snack. Much of the time was spent checking the ‘fridge. Eventually i reluctantly settled for a few black grapes. This morning when i opened the fridge, staring at me right in the middle, where i had scanned three times the night before, were the two pancakes i had saved specifically to have as a pre-bed snack! At least i get to have them tonight ( if i remember!)

I am not going to blame the cat, or the dog ( since i don’t have any anymore) nor will i blame imaginary creatures such as Pixies. No, i’m going to lay the blame fair and square where it belongs…
            CIA mind-control technique experiments!!!

Only kidding…

… it’s all your fault! 🙂

love.

7. Oliana February 28, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Kinda like the absent minded professor…I like that theory very much! as for where the missings sock are…well, they are with the Tupperware lids

• Marilyn Armstrong February 28, 2017 / 9:30 pm

I knew I was different. I always had tons of lids. The bottoms were missing. Maybe my bottoms were somewhere else and the lids came to me. You know, that Newtonian concept that there’s always the same amount of energy in the universe? So when a bottom goes missing, a top has to appear, right?