TANGERINES

A Photo a Week Challenge: Edible

You said edible and I said … FRUIT! I’m not sure why, but fruit is my favorite food for shooting. Also eating. It’s neat and shiny. Maybe that’s why. You can pile it up, spread it out … and then, you can eat it.

300-tangerines-260217_011

This time of year, there’s not much of it on the market. The local fruit vendors have nothing to sell. There won’t be anything for a few more months.

300-tangerines-260217_015

The stuff from California is not great, but … we have tangerines. They are the saving grace of fruit during the long winter. Here are some tangerines. Orange.

300-tangerines-260217_00

I need to mention that taking pictures of fruits and vegetables is more difficult than it seems. I’m not sure why, but when I sort through all the pictures, only a few are good enough. That might be one of the lessons we get from photography. Easy things are not necessarily as easy as they appear to be.

13 thoughts on “TANGERINES

1. slmret February 27, 2017 / 12:25 am

When I was in college in Philly, I walked past a store that had strawberries in the window — the biggest strawberries I’d ever seen! I asked where they were from, and learned they were from California! The best fruit at that time was exported to the East Coast, and we got the best of the rest! It’s not been good weather for fruit this year — even the oranges don’t look very good!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 12:30 am

The tangerines are I think from Florida, but they are a bit tired at this point. They were better a month ago. There won’t be local fruit here until June when the strawberries are out. Until then, we get whatever is available from California and it hasn’t been great in recent years. Those GFO strawberries don’t taste very good. They LOOK great, but they don’t TASTE great.

• slmret February 27, 2017 / 12:37 am

I’m really picky about strawberries — I have a favorite fruit stand that grows their own, with a short season — when that season is over, the bring them in from other growers, and they’re not as good! Most of our fruit now comes from Mexico or farther south (Guatemala, Nicaragua), and suffers from being picked and shipped at the wrong times. Not like it used to be!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 12:47 am

No, it isn’t. We get fresh strawberries here for about two weeks, then that’s it for another year. The stuff from way south of the border was picked too early to really taste good.

2. draliman February 27, 2017 / 3:07 am

I’m more of a satsuma person myself.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 11:56 am

I used to have a few really LOVELY Satsuma vases. I think I sold them. We don’t have room for everything anyway, but I do love them.

• draliman March 2, 2017 / 11:31 am

Ha, I forgot satsuma is not just a fruit 🙂

3. swo8 February 27, 2017 / 9:50 am

I bought some cara cara oranges by accident. They have a deeper colour inside but they tasted good. Looking forward to the strawberry season in more ways than one.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 11:51 am

Blood oranges? There’s a “no orange” period in Israel from late August until late October, when we get the blood oranges in from Jericho. The first time I saw them, I thought there was something wrong with them!

• swo8 February 27, 2017 / 12:02 pm

They have a similar colour to blood orange but is slightly different. They did taste good. The season for US citrus is almost over for this year (sad to say).

4. nancy merrill February 27, 2017 / 10:49 am

I love tangerines. These look delicious! Thanks for joining the challenge!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 27, 2017 / 11:50 am

Thanks 🙂 This time of year, there isn’t a lot else to shoot. In another couple of months, THEN there will be all kinds of stuff.