LOOKING AT WINTER ROADS

PHOTO CHALLENGE | The Road Taken

Winter roads are best taken as pictures. Driving down them in cars, even if the car has four-wheel drive, can be surprisingly scary. Especially if, like us, you live at the top of a long, steep hill that turns to ice very quickly when a storm comes.

Better standing about taking the picture than driving on this road ...
Photo: Marilyn Armstrong. – Better standing about taking the picture than driving on this road …
Photo: Garry Armstrong - Just one man walking on that road!
Photo: Garry Armstrong – Just one man walking on that road!
I participate in WordPress' Weekly Photo Challenge 2017
I participate in WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge 2017

27 thoughts on “LOOKING AT WINTER ROADS

1. slmret March 2, 2017 / 12:27 am

Love both of these shots! The little bit of bright color in the road shot, and the footsteps up the driveway are great captures!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:48 am

Garry got the feet. I got the headlights. We have a lot of crashes on this road. It’s a killer.

• Garry Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Hope we’ve seen the last of the honky covered road to perdition until next winter. No, I shan’t hold my breath.

2. evilsquirrel13 March 2, 2017 / 12:41 am

I’d have probably taken that photo from behind the guardrail just to be extra cautious. That car might be taking that turn a little too fast….

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:45 am

Garry did that. Wrapped himself around a pole. Killed my lovely Acura, BUT other than one huge bang on the head, he was ok. It’s a really BAD road. Smarter people don’t go out on it until after they’ve shoveled and sanded it. He wasn’t going far … just down the road, but it was far enough. Like maybe a few hundred feet from the house?

I should mention you can’t actually go over the rail because there a sharp drop down into the woods, but I was standing in our driveway, several feet OFF the road. As was Garry. Sometimes they come around that turn out of Rhode Island at insane speeds. The road isn’t angled properly, so they go flying off and many of them don’t survive.

• Garry Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Guess I’ll never live that one down. Enough! I’ll never forget.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:39 pm

It’s a very dangerous road. Good to remember. It’s so easy to think it’s no big deal because it’s OUR road. I’m just glad all you got was a bump on the head!

3. angloswiss March 2, 2017 / 12:43 am

Wonderful captures, showing both the beauty and for me the danger

4. Miriam March 2, 2017 / 2:00 am

Take care out there. Great shots.

5. lwbut March 2, 2017 / 2:31 am

Those shots do look lovely… but what’s all that white stuff called again??
    (Our lowest temp in last 36 hours = 72 degs)

• lwbut March 3, 2017 / 1:54 am

Only in America!! (said in awe) 😉

and just to rub it in (???) Our forecast for the weekend… 105F and 105F!

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 2:02 am

I can do without 105 😀 We have a few chilly days, but no question. Spring will very early.

6. draliman March 2, 2017 / 3:14 am

Cool photos, but I think I would have felt safer on the other side of that crash barrier just in case 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 11:31 am

The top of the driveway is usually okay. I can go out in the road when it’s dry, but even then, bad angles make it a tenuous road for driving, even when it isn’t snowing.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 11:31 am

My husband did a lot of them this year. It was a long hike on a very messy driveway. He took the camera. What a great guy!

7. DailyMusings March 2, 2017 / 6:10 am

great shots- but I wouldn’t want to be driving on that road!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 11:32 am

You would be wise to not drive on it. It’s okay, if you don’t go terribly fast, but everyone drives it like they have a Nobel prize ceremony to get to.

8. swo8 March 2, 2017 / 10:45 am

That looks like one very icy, dangerous road. It can’t last much longer.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 11:34 am

It’s been that way for a LONG time. It’s an interstate, so while they take care of putting down asphalt, no one wants to fix the bad curves. AND it’s the only road in this area.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 2, 2017 / 12:40 pm

We are VERY careful. But it is our road, so we do the best we can. The crazy people out of RI are really BAD.