THE FIRE OF YOUR DESIRE

KISS OF FIRE!

Funny how the language of love is all about fire. This is “Kiss of Fire” by GEORGIA GIBBS – 1952. It was on the flip side of another song. Which I don’t remember. But this one, even when I was a little kid, was hilarious. Every time I hear it, I have to howl. It’s so … intense.

Former relationships are “old flames.” Love someone, but have not declared yourself? You are “carrying a torch.” When a relationship gets tired, the chemistry is gone and “the fire has gone out.” A powerful yearning for someone is a “burning passion.”

I had this song on a 45 rpm vinyl record. I was five. I memorized the words and have been singing it ever since. If I’m in the right mood, I will still sing it to Garry. It makes his hearing aids produce feedback.

I particularly like when she sings:

“If I’m a slave, then it’s a slave I want to be. DON’T PITY ME. DON’T PITY ME!”

KISS OF FIRE

I touch your lips and all at once the sparks go flying
Those devil lips that know so well the art of lying
And though I see the danger, still the flame grows higher
I know I must surrender to your kiss of fire

Just like a torch, you set the soul within me burning
I must go on along this road of no returning
And though it burns me and it turns me into ashes
My whole world crashes without your kiss of fire

I can’t resist you, what good is there in trying
What good is there denying you’re all that I desire
Since first I kissed you my heart was yours completely
If I’m a slave, then it’s a slave I want to be
Don’t pity me, don’t pity me

Give me your lips, the lips you only let me borrow
Love me tonight and let the devil take tomorrow
I know that I must have your kiss although it dooms me
Though it consumes me, your kiss of fire
Since first I kissed you my heart was yours completely
If I’m a slave, then it’s a slave I want to be
Don’t pity me, don’t pity me

Give me your lips, the lips you only let me borrow
Love me tonight and let the devil take tomorrow
I know that I must have your kiss although it dooms me
Though it consumes me, your kiss of fire….

DESIRE | THE DAILY POST

28 thoughts on “THE FIRE OF YOUR DESIRE

• Marilyn Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:01 pm

It is a pretty funny song and, as it turns, more than a few people have done a funny version of it. It’s so … well …

• Garry Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:14 pm

I know this is our song but it’s also the secret love song for 45 and Vladdy Putin. Side “B” is their ultra secret love song.

• Garry Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:18 pm

Martha! I just played it again and my hearing aids have exploded. Mother of mercy!!!

• Garry Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Marilyn just came out of the shower, singing “Kiss Of Fire”. Martha, HELP!!!!!!

• Martha Kennedy March 3, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Ha ha ha ha! I think you’re only recourse is to sing back. “It’s a Small World” might be an option, or “99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.”

• Garry Armstrong March 4, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Good choices, Martha. Or maybe the “Wyatt Earp” TV theme.

“..Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp….brave, courageous and bald…….”

• swo8 March 3, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Garry, I know it’s a hot song but please control yourself.

1. angloswiss March 3, 2017 / 12:05 pm

I remember the song, was often played somewhere on a radio, but I must admit, not one of my favourites.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:58 pm

it’s funny. I think it always was, but when I was five, it was even funnier 🙂

2. Garry Armstrong March 3, 2017 / 12:16 pm

Snookie Lanson and Dorothy Collins made magic with “Kiss Of Fire” on “Your Hits Of The Week”.

DON’T PITY ME!!!!!!

3. Emilio Pasquale March 3, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Well, the flame has not gone out of my relationship with my wife. But around our house, we say “the bloom is off the rose” whenever we disagree on something. Loved this post, Marilyn. And your writing!

• tomcurley1 March 3, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Good point. Love songs can also involve fruit. “Loving You Has Made Me Bananas”

• Emilio Pasquale March 3, 2017 / 2:45 pm

That’s me! Now I understand why I am the way I am. It’s my wife’s fault. Thanks, Tom!

• lwbut March 3, 2017 / 11:11 pm

or: You drive me nuts! 🙂 ( not sure if that’s a song?)

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2017 / 12:02 am

Fruit. Nuts. And of course, the fire that burns forever in our hearts.

• lwbut March 4, 2017 / 12:23 am

Oh.. you mean heartburn?? 😉

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2017 / 1:15 am

Exactly like that except none of the medications will work. It’s permanent heartburn.

4. lwbut March 3, 2017 / 11:09 pm

WOW! The song was before my time i’m afraid, first time i’ve heard of it (or Georgia), but WOW!

Says to me a lot about ‘the human condition’ or rather, an all too common human condition, one i have succumbed to once or twice. 🙂

That of strongly and irresistibly desiring that which we already know will lead to our destruction. To use yet another fire analogy: Like a Moth to the Flame.

Just like a torch, you set the soul within me burning
    I must go on along this road of no returning
    And though it burns me and it turns me into ashes
    My whole world crashes
    without your kiss of fire.

I see a very strong religious component there, reinforced with the devil reference later on.

Also the lifelong struggle within us all for supremacy between instant and delayed gratification.

Deep!

Or maybe i’ve just been eating too many bananas? 😉

love.