IF IMITATION IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF FLATTERY

Bunch of hypocrites, I say. The other day, Garry commented that Apple is suing Microsoft (again? still?) over copyright infringements. And Apple is suing Samsung (like Samsung doesn’t have enough problems?) for infringing on the copyrights of the iPhone.

imitation-sunset-aldrich-st-210117_06

I told him: “In the computer world, every company is suing every other company for copyright infringement. It keeps the legal profession in business.”

We tell kids — one among the many hypocrisies we spew — that “Imitation is the highest form of flattery.” If Julia copies your hairstyle, buys the same dresses, talks and walks like you, it’s because she admires you and wants to be you. “Now, be nice to Julia. She’s just showing how much she admires you, dear.”

But if Julia had the same rights as a corporation, you’d be suing her ass and taking it to the Supreme Court. Oh the lies we tell!

The actual quote is:

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”  ― Oscar Wilde

Not quite the same. Interesting how big a difference a few words at the end of a sentence can make in its overall meaning.

15 thoughts on “IF IMITATION IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF FLATTERY

1. lifelessons March 7, 2017 / 12:31 am

I can remember looking at a much older girl on my block and thinking I’d like to be like her when I grew up, and later feeling the same way as she aged. But, other than that, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to imitate anyone. I always just wanted to be different!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2017 / 12:44 am

I know people I would have liked to LOOK like, but not BE like. But it might have been nice if I didn’t need glasses and braces. That would have been cool-er 🙂

2. angloswiss March 7, 2017 / 1:11 am

I wish I was a good imitator. I would imitate writing a book and become famous and earn lots of money. I wouldn’t be the first but perhaps no-one would notice 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2017 / 1:32 am

I’m not much of an imitator either, even when I wish I could be. Some of us just aren’t 😀

3. lwbut March 7, 2017 / 1:46 am

I have absolutely no issue with Imitation. Stealing the ideas of others to make profit from their copyrighted genius? Now that is a whole ‘nother issue. As is plagiarism. Thanks for informing me of the full quote! 🙂

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2017 / 12:27 pm

The problem is … what IS plagiarism? What if you are just copying the DVD so you can show it to a few friends in your living room? What if you just want to rip a song or two for a good friend? Is THAT plagiarism? Because right now? It is.

• lwbut March 7, 2017 / 11:23 pm

I was referring to the act of copying someone else’s writings (but i suppose that can include songwriting and photographs?) and using/claiming them as your own – a la Melanomia’s speech – without permission, acknowledgement or adequate compensation. I think technically what you describe i would call breach of copyright unless you have permission from the owner.

I know i used to record artist’s songs from the radio and use them in my room and later my car which technically is the same deal. The guilt felt did not outweigh the benefit or my financial consideration! 😉

love.

4. judyt54 March 7, 2017 / 7:59 am

As I recall, years ago, Apple was using embedded scripts in all of their online sites–if you so much as opened up a page using Apple images, or Apple anything for viewing, even if you just clicked through it, by the time you got back to your own Microsoft world you could find your media player refusing to play, your images refusing to show up, and checking the registry would show an entire panoply of Apple apps and bits and pieces that had been loaded without your knowledge or permission. It sometimes took hours to elimiate them all.
    To be fair, there was a warning at the bottom of each Apple page to let you know this was Apple territory. The catch was, once you hit that page, it was too late.

And Apple is suing Microsoft? oh, please.

I have no patience with people who cannot shape their own selves and need to look like or be like someone else. It may flatter the person being imitated but it says so much more about the imitator. it is kinda sad, too.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2017 / 12:26 pm

It’s a game they like to play with each other. Mostly, we catch all the crap from it. Even now, it is SO illegal to copy a DVD they can actually sue you — and WIN — more than $100.000 PER COPY of anything you made. They are convinced we are all here on earth to Steal Their Stuff.

If you want to read something that is hilarious (and also, true) check out this: YEAR ZERO: A Novel Paperback – April 30, 2013 – by Rob Reid (Author). It’s the only novel the guy wrote. It’s the way our world looks if you are coming from another planet. It’s very funny. And there are footnotes.

5. swo8 March 7, 2017 / 1:59 pm

“that mediocrity can pay to greatness” that is so biting. Never heard the full comment before. Trust Oscar Wilde to come up with that.

6. omniclassic March 7, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Wow, this s the first time I’ve seen the whole quote. It’s entirely different than there truncated version.., and even a bit “snarky” I LIKE IT!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2017 / 4:56 pm

I look this stuff up because very often, people pick up the piece they like, but leave the rest. Yes, this is an entirely different quote and I like it better too 😀

7. evilsquirrel13 March 8, 2017 / 4:32 am

Given many of the memes I see going around the internet…. I’m not sure the word “greatness” is often warranted. I’ve seen a lot of mediocre stuff get imitated en masse….

• lwbut March 8, 2017 / 6:57 am

True – but then Oscar had no idea the Internet would ever exist! 🙂

it certainly has a lot to answer for, but it probably never will.

love.