A PHOTO A WEEK CHALLENGE – COMPARING THREE

A Photo a Week Challenge: It All Depends on What You Want

I can do a lot of post processing, but more than half the time, I do almost none except for a bit of cropping and sharpening. Other times, I play around, just to see what I can do. So here are three shots. No cropping. I sharpened it and lightened it and the second one would usually have been my stopping point. But, just for the fun of it, I tried it in black and white, too.

First shot. Didn’t do anything.

Second shot, I added contrast, and brightened it. Usually, this would be the end of the process.

To make life interesting, I turned it into a bit more of a painting. And changed it to black and white.

As I’ve acquired more filters, I’ve found so many new ways to show a picture. On the average, I keep pictures simple unless I’m feeling playful. Then who knows what will show up?

14 thoughts on “A PHOTO A WEEK CHALLENGE – COMPARING THREE

• Marilyn Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 2:27 pm

I’ve gotten serious about filters. They make a lot of “fixing” easier. Of course you can do the same without filters, but it’s a good deal more effort 🙂

1. lyncrain March 18, 2017 / 9:26 am

I love trying different aspects myself with photographs. What I discovered is how many ways a black and white photograph can come alive.
    Your pictures were beautiful but the one that drew me in the most was the black and white. I imagined in my mind the colors but then that’s what poets do create imagery ☺️

• Marilyn Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 1:38 pm

I was very surprised. Landscapes rarely seem right for black and white, but this one just popped. It’s why things like this post are so interesting. You make discoveries 😀

2. nancy merrill March 18, 2017 / 11:34 am

I love both of your treatments. The first treatment is lovely and serene. The black & white has wonderful contrast. Nice work, Marilyn! Thanks for joining the challenge!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 12:25 pm

You are welcome Nancy, though I think your work is hugely better than mine. I’ve been trying to use as much as possible my most recent work, but this has been a bad month for weather so I haven’t been out much. I was surprised by how well is came out in b&w. It was a surprise, so that’s 1 for you 😀

• Garry Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 1:33 pm

Interesting how you can add pizzazz to a picture without dramatically altering it.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 1:37 pm

No one more surprised than I was to see that. I thought it was going to be dull in black & white. You never can tell!

3. swo8 March 18, 2017 / 3:38 pm

You lose a lot of the detailing of the water in the last photo (B&W). They are all very artistic in nature because you can’t beat a composition like that.

4. DailyMusings March 18, 2017 / 9:28 pm

all 3 do look different- and you see different things in each. Love the water in #2

• Marilyn Armstrong March 18, 2017 / 9:56 pm

That’s where I would normally have stopped. Just brighten the water, make sure there’s till some detail. It can be pretty dark along the river, even though the trees are still naked. But since this called for three, I decided to just poke around and see what else I could do. I really LOVE my filters!