INTELLIGENCE FOR THE UNINTELLIGENT – AND BANNON

We are closing in on three months of Trump-o-Matic. It has been a wild and crazy ride.  Crisis, to calamity, catastrophe to cataclysm. Except instead of the fascist state we feared, we got the Keystone Kops. Which we did not expect.

As we  spend our energy trying to dethrone the morons, I want to believe someone is paying attention to the briefings Trump-o-Matic ignores. I read somewhere today he wants to get “raw” briefings. That would be raw intelligence data which hasn’t passed through any intelligence agencies for analysis. If you think his inability to read a piece of legislation is a hoot, think how boisterously merry we’ll feel when he tries to wend he way through raw intelligence briefings. Yes, I know he won’t do it himself. So let me rephrase it: what do you think Bannon will do with those raw briefings? Shiver me timbers, what a terrible idea.

NOTE: In a developing story happening now (April 5, 2017), Bannon has been removed as the White House chief strategist and removed from the National Security Council. This restores the director of national intelligence, CIA director, and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to full participation on the NSC’s inner circle, its principals committee. It doesn’t mean Bannon is “out” … but no one seems to know exactly what is going on.

We will have to check back with sources and see how this develops. Mildly encouraging, don’t you think? Even if he is still part of Trump’s “team,” at least he isn’t going to decide on whether or not we push a button and nuke the world.

Trump-o-Matic managed to get elected, yet he is so incompetent he has been unable to cobble together a cabinet or a viable piece of legislation. We didn’t get the awful “version” of healthcare because his own party hated it. Well, to be fair, everyone hated it. It also turned out trying to strong-arm his party from far right to center didn’t work. I cannot begin to say how happy I am about that.

Considering one thing and another, I’m currently more worried about how much damage he will do to our environment than how many bills he’ll push through congress. You can undo a piece of legislation, but a polluted aquifer is forever.

TO DATE?

He tried to declare the constitution obsolete and invalid. His followers cried Lock them up! Shoot them down! Ban them! We said: “Can he do that?” We thought he could.

It turned out, he couldn’t. The judicial system worked. Who knew? I’m always surprised when something works. Call me a skeptic. Overall, the system worked better than I expected. It hasn’t (yet) made Trump-o-Matic and his disgusting cronies disappear (which would be my best choice), but it has made them less terrifying and far funnier.

You know how you laugh hysterically when a thing isn’t really funny but it’s too awful to think about — so what can you do but laugh? That is our government. It is so disgusting and so far off the deep end of reality or surrealism, if you can’t laugh you’d have to hide under the bed until we turn this thing around. I seriously considered the whole hiding thing, but I’m too old. Under or over my bed, this is my life. I want to live it. Even with Trump-o-Matic in power.

Know that if Trump-o-Matic were even nominally more capable (and literate), he could have bullied his way into something like a dictatorship. Instead, he’s powering his way to an insane anarchy and utter chaos. I wouldn’t mind because sometimes, madness works for me. Except not all the folks in the “rest of the world” are USA-friendly. I am not a subscriber to believing everyone is out to get us, but some groups are out to get us.

While Trump-o-Matic is worrying about blocking Mexican immigrants and stealing the remaining few dollars left to the poor, the real bad guys are having their own bout of hilarity. Assuming those guys know how to laugh.

We have a president who can’t read briefings. He has no understanding of how anything — including the military — works. So, who’s on guard? Who is on the ramparts?

Meanwhile, back at the White House, they want raw intelligence data briefings. Yeah. That’s what I think too.

22 thoughts on “INTELLIGENCE FOR THE UNINTELLIGENT – AND BANNON

1. lifelessons April 5, 2017 / 12:12 am

Wow. Marilyn. What an impressive post. One positive thing that came about as a result of the Trump debacle. Well done.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 12:23 am

Thank you. This started out as a rewrite and ended up and entirely new piece. I try to be careful to write only about things I think (I hope) I understand. Really, it’s about the cartoons. Some of them are fantastic, aren’t they?

• lifelessons April 5, 2017 / 12:32 am

My favorite is the one with a dog collar of shame on each of his arms and covering his hands and his cellphone set on Twitter beyond his grasp.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 12:35 am

Look at the faces in the crowd on Trump-O-Matic. There are all sorts of faces in there. Skulls. Hitler. Robot. A gibbon.

• Garry Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Hilarious!! Can I get a free vega-matic if I order a Trmup-O-Matic and 1 Sean Spicer rack with dried anchovies?? Should I call now? Are all operators available??

2. lifelessons April 5, 2017 / 12:42 am

Also had missed his forked tongue, the “platform” of imprisoned Mexicans.. one about to pull the plug on the Trump-o-matic, and the real baby Trump behind the hate machine, admiring himself in the mirror. I didn’t look very closely, did I?

• Marilyn Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 1:06 am

There’s a lot in that picture to look at. This guy does some really crazy work. I’ve seen it a few places and it’s something special. THIS was Garry’s favorite.

3. Olga April 5, 2017 / 1:38 am

Loved that image of Trump with a forked tongue. Crazy times in your land of freedom and democracy. I’m in Canada and watching.

4. swo8 April 5, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I love the spice rack. What a flash that would make!

• swo8 April 5, 2017 / 1:03 pm

I recognize the bottles. I probably have that brand here. Mad Magazine is still around – amazing and appropriate.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 1:31 pm

I think Mad is more online than off now, but they still do many of the same pieces I knew and loved.

• swo8 April 5, 2017 / 1:33 pm

It’s an old favourite.

5. Dylan Von-Bartschi April 5, 2017 / 1:40 pm

You know how you laugh hysterically “when a thing isn’t really funny but it’s too awful to think about — so what can you do but laugh? That is our government” this part really cracked me up. I started laughing in class and everyone looked at me like I had three heads. xD

6. Dylan Von-Bartschi April 5, 2017 / 1:42 pm

“If you skipped history because it was irrelevant,
you are getting it in real time today”
    Our conversation from the other day and this is really helping me see reality from a much clearer understanding. Thank you

• Marilyn Armstrong April 5, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Regardless, it sends warnings of what can happen and has happened. As a cautionary tale and as incentive, it’s still better to know.

7. Autumn Cote April 20, 2017 / 5:21 am

Would it be OK if I cross-posted this article to WriterBeat.com? I’ll be sure to give you complete crdedit as the author. There is no fee, I’m simply trying to add more content diversity for our community and I liked what you wrote. If “OK” please respond via email.

Autumn
    AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com

• Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2017 / 11:44 am

No problem. As long as no one signs my byline, I’m cool 😀 And thank you!