SHARING THE WORLD – APRIL MOVING ALONG NICELY

I am delighted to report that nothing is going on. Soon we’ll have flowers and shortly thereafter, trees. Then, caterpillars. Maybe they won’t be as bad this time, but it’s hard to know. We will put in the air conditioners shortly. It’s getting warm. This is the least eventful period I can remember in a long time. I love it!

Share Your World – April 17, 2017

When writing by hand do you prefer to use a pencil or pen?

I do everything on the keyboard. I have pens because sometimes, I have to sign something. Probably there’s a pencil somewhere in the house, but I have no idea where that might be. But we have almost everything here, so I’m sure we have one of them, too.

Honestly, I don’t remember the last time I wrote out more words than I needed for grocery list or birthday card. But I do sign things. There’s always something that needs a signature.

Would you rather be an amazing dancer or an amazing singer?

Amazing indeed if, at my age, I were suddenly to become a great dancer or singer. The amazing would be that it happened. At all.

I used to have a pleasant voice, but damaged my vocal chords many years ago. I wouldn’t  mind being able to sing a little, but amazing? I don’t think so. And, to be fair, that was never on one of my “lists” of things I wanted to do or be. I did want to be a great pianist and I tried. Didn’t quite make it, but I tried hard.

Not since my post-toddler days have I yearned to be a dancer. That dream ended before it got started. Too much like work!

If you were on a debate team, what subject would you relish debating?

Once upon a time, I could have written a list of thing I would like to debate. Once upon a time, long, long ago. Because I think I have completed all the arguments about anything that mattered. I’ve battled for health care, women’s rights, equality, tolerance … and against war. During the 1960s, we all got together and tried to change the world. I’m pretty sure that what we really accomplished was making blue denim jeans and sport shoes really hot clothing. Otherwise, the world is as appallingly terrible as ever, except worse.

So I’m not debating with anyone about anything. I’ll sign petitions, call my congressperson, and post articles that I think will help those who have a mind for facts. Otherwise? If you are happy about the state of the world? Go away. Do not annoy me with your stupidity.

What are you a “natural” at doing?

Writing about things that happen and are true, but little or no aptitude for fiction. And certain kinds of photography.

I could always write. I don’t remember a time in this life when I couldn’t say it better on paper–  or these days, a monitor.

As for photography, I have a good eye for landscapes and casual portraits. Other things, not so much … but I keep trying and I am getting better at some of them. I don’t work terribly hard at photography. These days, I don’t work terribly hard. On anything.

26 thoughts on “SHARING THE WORLD – APRIL MOVING ALONG NICELY

1. angloswiss April 18, 2017 / 6:57 am

What’s a pencil or pen? My signature is also the only writing I use. We are specialists at being golden oldies, we don’t need more.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 11:52 am

I too am addicted to keyboards, but my addiction actually preceded computers. I learned to touch type when I was 11 and I never hand wrote anything since. That’s a lot of keyboarding!

• angloswiss April 18, 2017 / 11:54 am

I learned touch typing at the age of 12 (also shorthand Pitmans which I can still use). I noticed later when I was working on computers that the young generation no longer had such an idea of touch typing. It was probably no longer deemed necessary because of the computers, but I never regretted learning it.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 11:57 am

I had thought shorthand had vanished, but apparently it is still used in military groups where The Big Guy narrates his exploits to his staff. My mother used Pitman too and wanted me to learn it, but I didn’t have the patience for it. The typing, though, I have been grateful for my whole life.

In the course of work, I have often wished I HAD learned shorthand. When you are taking notes from someone about whose work you are going to have to write, shorthand really speeds up the process. I can’t remember how many times I’ve had to ask someone to “wait, I need to make sure I have that written correctly.”

• angloswiss April 18, 2017 / 1:11 pm

My Swiss boss in the office never dictated, he just mumbled what he wanted written, but in Swiss German. So I would do a simultaneous translation in my head into english and write notes in shorthand. I think if I had written a recipe for a meat pie he would have signed it.

• Garry Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 12:56 pm

I use a pen, writing the grocery list. I write large so I can read my scrawl.

• angloswiss April 18, 2017 / 1:11 pm

I am glad I could persuade Mr. Swiss to join me on the shopping list cloud on the mobiel phone. Now I do not have to try and decipher what he has written.

2. judyt54 April 18, 2017 / 7:34 am

ive always preferred pens to pencils, possibly because as a kid my eyesight was so bad pencil was hard to read. And crosswords are impossible for me, when done in pencil, the pencil just fades into the paper, especially the newsprint paper, which is already off white.

when I write/revise I prefer pen-to-paper for poetry and a keyboard for prose.

• Garry Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 12:58 pm

Judy, you’re right about pencil smears. I use a pen for grocery lists and crossword puzzles. Sometimes the puzzles get messy if I’m off my game.

3. Emilio Pasquale April 18, 2017 / 10:57 am

While reading this post I thought of a great descriptive word for you: irascible. Now, maybe t’s not perfect. But in my mind, and under my somewhat vague definition of it, it says “Marilyn Armstrong”. And believe me, I mean it in the nicest possible way. You take no bs, you speak your mind, you don’t suffer fools gladly. And beyond all that, you have a great sense of humor, sort of sneaky at times- your humor, I mean! 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 11:54 am

Oh gee. I think you have nailed me. And here I was trying to be so subtle. Not so subtle, huh. I sometimes have a VERY weird sense of humor which I try not in inflict on everyone. With varying degrees of success.

• Garry Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Yes, Emilio, yes!!

4. Cee Neuner April 18, 2017 / 1:20 pm

Thanks ever so much for sharing and participating this week. I really enjoyed reading your answers. Terrific photos as always.

5. swo8 April 18, 2017 / 2:04 pm

I’m sitting here reading all the comments and having a good chuckle.
    Pen it is. I studied voice, dance and several musical instruments. Another one of those wild endeavours was to become a pastry chef. Nothing like fooling around with all that icing.

• swo8 April 18, 2017 / 3:47 pm

I know what you mean. If I bake it, I eat it and that can be a problem.

• swo8 April 18, 2017 / 4:56 pm

I still make bread. I slice it and divide it in half and freeze it. It takes awhile to go through it that way and it stays fresher.

6. Ally Bean April 18, 2017 / 4:40 pm

I rarely use a pen or pencil to write with, but when I do I like pens. So far I haven’t seen a single soul who has answered pencil. I’m like you in that I can write about what actually happens in my life, but fiction is beyond my pay grade. Great answers.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 18, 2017 / 5:18 pm

I know a lot of people who can’t write NON fiction, so I think we get a pat for that, at least. Glad you came to visit!

I remember when I bought special pens for different kinds of writing. Time moves on 🙂

• Garry Armstrong April 19, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Ally, I’m on the FBI’s 10 most wanted — Pen Thief!

• Marilyn Armstrong April 19, 2017 / 9:53 am

I’m always impressed that he does that. And usually, 9 out of 10 times, I can even read his handwriting!