BLACK & WHITE SUNDAYS: A COMPARISON

BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY: AFTER AND BEFORE Y1-04

FROM PAULA: On Sundays I normally publish a photo challenge in black and white that I call Black & White Sunday. I usually come up with a fresh theme for it, but once a month I publish a recurrent (monthly) theme: after and before where you are supposed to show the same photo, regardless of the subject, in both monochrome and colour.

This is a way of encouraging you not only to set your camera to black and white setting, but to shoot in colour and to convert it into black and white in post processing. Hopefully you will enjoy this exercise in seeing and editing. After all it is all about fun. Have a  beautiful day!

Blackstone River, Rhode Island with the last snow on the ground – Color
Blackstone River, Rhode Island with the last snow on the ground – B & W

I like both pictures. I don’t know which I prefer, but both came out pretty well.

mergeyes_widget

13 thoughts on “BLACK & WHITE SUNDAYS: A COMPARISON

1. DailyMusings April 23, 2017 / 7:03 am

I like them both- different feeling to the black & white- I always like snow in b & w

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:30 pm

A lot of the time, snow looks like black & white anyway. THIS time, there’s actual color in the picture. I like them both. I like the tones in the black & white, but I like the juxtaposition of the color and the white snow and yes, it does say “Hey, spring IS coming.”

• Garry Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 1:58 pm

More dramatic in B&W.

2. swo8 April 23, 2017 / 12:15 pm

I prefer the colour photo. It has a glimmer of hope for spring. The black and white feels less hopeful to me.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Usually, I have a strong preference, but not so much this time … maybe because the black & white has a lot of tones in it, so it isn’t solidly black & white … But anyway, all winter, everything here is monochrome.

• swo8 April 23, 2017 / 12:35 pm

I think that the monochrome of winter really gets to me after awhile. I long for the green of grass etc.

• Garry Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 1:59 pm

Agree about B&W impact.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 6:21 pm

I think both have their own point to make. That’s nice. Usually one is clearly better than the other.

3. iballrtw April 23, 2017 / 6:30 pm

I like the B&W better, probably because of the snow.

4. Paula April 24, 2017 / 4:09 am

I agree that both came out pretty nicely. I like seeing snow in black and white and find that edit a bit neater. Sorry I could not log on yesterday. Thank you very much for the lovely entry, Marilyn.