WHITE CHURCH BY THE COMMONS

It was one of the first churches in town and it has been abandoned. I don’t know how many years it has been empty, but it’s been awhile. Probably at least ten years, now. The church has no heat and no parking. The amount of work it would need to make it suitable for a modern community is enough to build a new church … and this one is small.

I love it. It’s a jewel box of a church, a perfect representation of the white clapboard churches which are the symbol of New England. I hoped someone would buy it, but as the years pass, I think it’s only a matter of time before the wrecking ball gets to it.

18 thoughts on “WHITE CHURCH BY THE COMMONS

1. slmret April 23, 2017 / 12:17 am

I’ve always loved the photos of this church when you’ve posted them. What a shame that it has been abandoned — I imagine it’s deteriorating rather quickly indoors by now!

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:25 am

I think it is at the end of its run. I’ve taken a lot of pictures of it, but i want to take more this summer.

I don’t think there’s much choice about what to do with it. The town can’t afford to fix it and no one wants to buy it. It has no insulation or heating system, which in this climate makes it hopeless. It is more than 200 years old. Without care and maintenance, it will become dangerous if it isn’t already. Such a pity.

2. lwbut April 23, 2017 / 12:39 am

It’s kinda weird to think that if Whistler or some Gothic American artist had painted that church on a sheet of canvas someone might pay $1,000,000 for it but no-one seems willing to pay a few thousand for it and fix it for some valuable town function? I see it as a true work of Art.

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:58 am

IF it had heat … or parking … maybe someone would have bought it. Other churches have gone for sale and found buyers. If we had the money, we’d have bought it in a nano second. It is as beautiful inside as it is outside. Small … maybe seat 200 people tops. Other churches like it did find buyers. I hoped it might become a little museum or something, but it hasn’t.

It is a perfect little New England church.

3. Covert Novelist April 23, 2017 / 1:23 am

Love your pictures. It looks strong and regal. I also like what you did with the last one. It looks like a painting. Well done.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 1:31 am

I’m trying to capture it for the future when it isn’t there any more. How I wish i could buy it! What a lovely home it could be.

• Covert Novelist April 23, 2017 / 1:33 am

It certainly could be. Imagine the beautiful rays of light shining through those gorgeous windows just for a start.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 2:13 am

And it really is beautiful inside, too. All carved wood. Just lovely. Impossible, but I can wish.

• Covert Novelist April 23, 2017 / 2:22 am

Yes indeed. I’ve been in building as old and the detail architecture and wood used are second to none.

4. jcalberta April 23, 2017 / 11:30 am

I like churches. Don’t care who it might belong to. It’s about God. So I’d just go in.
    At one time Churches never locked their door. You could go in at any time – day or night.
    Sadly, these days we have a new brand of crook. They don’t care about anything. They will steal whatever they can and smash the rest.
    Now all our Churches are locked up.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:21 pm

it was open for a long time, but I think it’s getting a bit dangerous inside, so now it is locked. It was an open, working church when we moved here.

5. swo8 April 23, 2017 / 12:13 pm

What happened to the organ? I bet it had a wonderful pipe organ at one time. I’ve seen churches like this turned into all sorts of commercial enterprises, restaurants, museums etc. What a shame to lose that part of our heritage.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Nothing has happened to it yet, but I’m sure before they take it apart, another church will buy it.

• swo8 April 23, 2017 / 12:23 pm

There must be a market for those organs. My father bought his pipe organ from an old church. It was amazing – you could feel the music thumping deep inside your chest.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I’m sure there is, if not in its entirety, the pipes themselves are a big deal and many of the churches have pipe organs, so more pipes are always a good thing. And many of our churches are pretty old.

6. Bette A. Stevens April 23, 2017 / 6:21 pm

One of far too many fine examples of New England architecture being neglected…

• Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Small town … we really don’t have the money to properly care for our old architecture, so if someone doesn’t adopt it, it falls apart. It’s sad. Little churches like this are disappearing very quickly these days.