ARIZONA DESERT IN BLACK & WHITE AND A PORTRAIT

A Photo a Week Challenge: Black & White

From Nancy Merrill:

Looking back through past challenges, I found that I have never done a dedicated black and white challenge. It really surprised me. I love editing in black and white. When I was still shooting with film, I loved using black and white dedicated film, especially for slides. There’s something amazing about black and white images. They are instantly nostalgic and artistic.

IN A NEW POST CREATED FOR THIS CHALLENGE, SHARE A BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO OR TWO (OR MORE)

From Arizona, three landscapes and a portrait.

Superstitions
Clouds over the desert
Palms in Phoenix
Garry and the Iron Cowboy

25 thoughts on “ARIZONA DESERT IN BLACK & WHITE AND A PORTRAIT

1. angloswiss April 29, 2017 / 1:37 pm

Good photo of Garry. The black and white is great to capture his expression.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Thank you! Black and white is still a very good way to take portraits. Even today, with color ruling the world, a good black & white photo is still top of the line. It’s a little more difficult since our cameras ONLY shoot color.

2. Covert Novelist April 29, 2017 / 2:10 pm

These are spectacular. Black and white can add eerie, ominous, drama, and capture nostalgia and are very artistic. Fabulous! Yours particularly. Thank you for sharing.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Thank you! They are amazing at making clouds more dramatic, too. Even relatively light clouds can look super dramatic. it’s a very cool feature of black & white 🙂

• Covert Novelist April 29, 2017 / 2:55 pm

I love black and white always have. Mind you the advent of colour was profound, but still there’s a majestic romantic hue to black and white as well as all the other qualities it invokes. Loved your pictures.

3. swo8 April 29, 2017 / 2:39 pm

All great photos, Marilyn.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2017 / 5:03 pm

It was earlier. Now, it’s kind of overclouded. I think the temps are supposed to drop tomorrow.

• swo8 April 29, 2017 / 6:11 pm

It’s suppose to rain and get cooler here tomorrow.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2017 / 6:43 pm

It keeps looking like rain, but then the clouds break. Regardless, they’re expecting a 20 degree drop in temps between today and tomorrow.

• swo8 April 29, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Bundle up tonight. I was hoping to get out into the garden tomorrow. Doesn’t look like that is going to work out to well.

4. nancy merrill April 29, 2017 / 4:49 pm

These are all so perfectly done, Marilyn. Love the photo of Garry. 🙂 Thanks for joining the challenge!

5. Phil Taylor April 29, 2017 / 6:27 pm

Wow! That one with the clouds really caught my eye! I always think that clouds loom so powerfully when depicted in black and white.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2017 / 6:42 pm

You’re right. Black and white does an amazing job with clouds. Even relatively light clouds really “pop” in black and white.

6. Rose April 30, 2017 / 12:02 am

Love these! That is such a good one of Garry, handsome guy! I adore the clouds over the desert…it reminds me of how life looks at times.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 30, 2017 / 12:05 am

Thank you 🙂 The sky came out pretty spectacular. It’s black & white. It was there and black & white brought it out. As for my guy Garry, he’s my favorite model. He likes looking good, so I work at it.

7. Tish Farrell April 30, 2017 / 11:40 am

Well it was very well worth waiting for – this b & w post. Each composition striking in its own particular way. And Garry does indeed look extra-good 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong June 15, 2017 / 12:53 am

Garry looks best when he has a prop. Anything. He has to DO something, not just stand there. Maybe that’s true of a lot of people and I never noticed.