IMPERFECTION IN BLACK & WHITE

BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY: IMPERFECT

I love it. No center to the composition, but I love it anyway. Also, this is a picture that absolutely doesn’t work in color. The leaves are gaudy yellow and dark green and it practically burns my eyes looking at it. It’s not MY fault. It really looks like that.

So, it is imperfect. It might make a nice pattern for fabric or even wallpaper. As a photograph, it’s rather “meh.”

mergeyes_widget

24 thoughts on “IMPERFECTION IN BLACK & WHITE

1. omniclassic May 7, 2017 / 12:43 am

Very nice.., the leaves sort of mysterious in a way.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 12:45 am

They look better in black and white. They are so shiny and hard to see in the sun!

2. reocochran May 7, 2017 / 1:04 am

I think this “works” as less than perfect and less than what you hoped.
    For me, it is beautiful in the arch shape, as well as the deep contrast of the water, Marilyn.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 1:07 am

It’s a pretty pattern. I think it would make lovely wallpaper in pale green. It’s not a terrible picture. Really terrible pictures do NOT get published. They get deleted πŸ˜€

• reocochran May 7, 2017 / 1:27 am

I know what you mean, Marilyn! I like your vision of wallpaper pattern in a pale green. Occasionally I like a scene and then when captured on film, it’s a disappointment. Not bad but less than what I had hoped for or expected.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 11:50 am

I think this kind of picture never looks as good as our eyes see it. The lack of a central image and “movement” in the composition make it pretty … but not a great photograph. But it is pretty. It’s not a ugly picture, just not an especially good one.

3. Tish Farrell May 7, 2017 / 4:30 am

I think it’s a wonderful piece of imperfection. The monochrome contrast gives the leaves a certain ‘alertness’ and thus some drama.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 11:52 am

In color, the leaves glowed. I’m not a “glowing” picture kind of gal, so I went with black and white. Better than color and less blinding. It’s a pretty pictures. I bet someone who knew how could turn it into a nice fabric design. I think I’d like it as a scarf πŸ˜€

4. lwbut May 7, 2017 / 7:12 am

I can imagine the leaves in colour and you’re quite right – it’s a much better image in b&w πŸ™‚
    Or maybe b&g?

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 11:53 am

Thanks! The leaves are really bright, especially in the sun. Too much for me.

5. Sue May 7, 2017 / 7:48 am

Might be imperfect, but it still has ‘something’….I think Tish made a good point

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 11:54 am

I don’t hate the picture. It’s one of many pictures like this where I’m shooting a subject that has no real composition. There’s movement and form, but it’s a pattern. I had a good friend who used to design fabric for fashion houses. This might work for that. Or, as I said, wallpaper.

6. swo8 May 7, 2017 / 1:56 pm

Even if there’s no centre to the piece it does make your eyes move all around inside it.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 4:47 pm

Thanks. it has movement. I may use it as wallpaper on this machine, but in color … or a pastel version of color. I’ll see.

7. DailyMusings May 7, 2017 / 5:14 pm

I like it- the pattern is pretty- as you said might be nice for wallpaper. Maybe imperfect in color- but not so imperfect in black and white!

• Marilyn Armstrong May 7, 2017 / 6:09 pm

Thanks! I didn’t know what to do with it until i tried black & white. i don’t usually like black & white for floral stuff, but this worked. you just never know πŸ˜€

8. Paula May 8, 2017 / 2:12 am

You make me laugh Marilyn πŸ™‚ :D. I can see why the image can be more interesting in monochrome with its pattern and shapes. This is a lovely capture and edit. It has a bit of a negative film look. I like it πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong May 8, 2017 / 2:27 am

Thanks Paula. It’s interesting playing with patterns. I take a lot of pictures like this. I know they aren’t great composition, but the patterns are interesting.

9. bushboy May 9, 2017 / 7:32 am

The photo really works in black and white. Love it πŸ™‚