I SHALL GO PEACEFULLY

I am in pursuit of nothing at all. I’m not working, so I’m not hunting down money. I’m not career-involved, so not going there. I suppose the only thing I am really pursuing is how to go from simply playing Civilization to winning the game, whatever that means. All I want to do is build handsome buildings. Collect Great People to improve my population’s learning skills.

I seem to lack a killer instinct.

I have encountered this problem before. With this same game. Years ago, when they had “Cheat Mode” as an option, whenever another nation got too aggressive, I made them disappear.

Note the Great Wall

Sadly for me, they have ditched “Cheat Mode.” I sorely regret the lapse. I don’t want to go to war with Peter the Great or anyone else. I merely want to build the Winter Palace and the Great Library. Develop medicine. Send spaceships to other planets. War is annoying. It is a distraction to the really important things in the world.

I have come to believe that no one makes games for people like me. Someone should. I can’t be the only person that would like to play without brigades and explosions.

That’s why I liked the old SIM games. Your battle was with building the right number of elevators to get annoyed people to the top of the building … and you could watch Santa Claus fly by in the Christmas sky. I always like that.

I want a game withoutย wars. Where no one, real or simulated, will threaten to blow up my civilization up with nuclear (or other) weapons. Where I don’t needย to spend most of my game building some version — old or new — of Theย Warrior.

It’s hard being a pacifist in a nuclear electronic era. No, really. It is.

43 thoughts on “I SHALL GO PEACEFULLY

1. angloswiss May 10, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Well that is something we do not share. I used to do some Zynga games in facebook but noticed I was getting too much involved, so stopped. Sim City was never my thing and the only game I really enjoyed was Farm Town, but that was also getting out of hand. I had too many farms and was making so much profit that they began to tell me I should sell my stuff as I was over the limit. Now I am really only blogging, a little Scrabble and Magic Jigsaw on the side and otherwise reading. I must admit I had never heard of Civilisation.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 1:07 pm

It’s very similar to a board game called “Risk.” We used to play it when i was a kid when we got tired of Monopoly. It has interesting graphics and audio and it is something to do when I simply cannot face up to another day of politics.

2. Garry Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 12:36 pm

I’m not a game player. Not enough time or maybe interest.

• Garry Armstrong May 11, 2017 / 10:17 am

True. But I made the brew that is true. Think Hilts and “The Great Escape”.

3. ghostmmnc May 10, 2017 / 1:12 pm

I don’t know about the Civilization game, but one I play is called, “Cradle of Rome”. It’s a very simple match 3 game, and there are no wars or explosions. You just gather supplies, etc. and advance a level and you build Rome:)

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 4:42 pm

I play a lot of match 3 games. This is something else. It’s more of a “life experience” but not as much as other games. It think this would be an “in between” the simpler and more complex games.

4. judyt54 May 10, 2017 / 2:02 pm

My mother’s family were all word games, board games, cards, dice– so I guess you could say I came by this genetically.
    I loved Sim City, the last expansion I had, had the most marvelous user controlled cities out there. I even use one now and then as a screen saver. And key for me, I could turn OFF the explosions, the disasters, the attacks. Just me and the city. I also loved Civilization, but after awhile it palls. It’s too controlled for me.
    Oh, now I want one.

Gary it’s okay. My husband is a mechanical engineer, he is bored bored, bored with any kind of game out there. Which is why I’m in here, playing World of Warcraft and wordgames at King.com. You either like ’em or you don’t

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 5:33 pm

Yup, that’s what I liked, too. No explosions, no fires, no collapsed building. Just build, and try to keep the industrial stuff away from where people live.

• judyt54 May 10, 2017 / 9:46 pm

And my favorite part was building the transport systems. Oh, the trains. Omg the subways. All those little trains whizzing about, all those underground cars…damn I want me one of them again. My old one just won’t play on this new computer…

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 11:26 pm

I couldn’t find anything that will run on this computer. I don’t think they make them anymore. Pity. I love the little whizzing trains too ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Martha Kennedy May 10, 2017 / 2:08 pm

Ah yes, I had that game in a very early edition and it really annoyed me that there were enemies. I just wanted some nice temples and stuff. I’m going to give it a shot. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 5:32 pm

That’s how I feel about it. I want to build things and have my people go OOOH and AAAAH. Who needs enemies? Come on by. Have a nice dinner in a good restaurant. Visit the temples!

• lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:04 am

I certainly don’t need enemies… not with the friends i’ve got! ๐Ÿ˜‰
        ( Yes – I am, of course, jo-king here) ๐Ÿ™‚

love.

6. Ellin Curley May 10, 2017 / 2:12 pm

That’s the kind of game I would like, if I liked games. It sounds like it’s oozing estrogen! It also sounds like it’s more of ana intellectul, thoughtful challenge, not just shoot this or capture that. Why aren’t there more games like this anymore?

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 6:08 pm

You’d probably also like the SIM games. They are all about designing cities. Actually, it is a completely pointless activity because you keep designing the city until you run out of room, they you design a new one. I really loved the Sim games. They were easy on the eyes AND on the nervous system.

• lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:08 am

I think the answer to your question lies in the youth of today, Ellin – they design the games for even younger people’s wants/needs as it’s mostly them who create the profit in gaming. We need older, mature and wiser game designers basically – Marilyn are you up for it? ๐Ÿ™‚

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I’ll have to give a look. This game has always been heavily geared to winning by war. It’s embedded in the original design and they have never really left it. I was surprised at how little the game has changed since I played it a long time ago.

• wscottling May 10, 2017 / 6:16 pm

I’m not sure how that game works, but I know that in Fallout 4 I can enter a console command that will make everyone in the game non hostile towards me so I can go about my business without fighting for my life every five seconds. I don’t use it because of reasons… but I know I can.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 11:31 pm

I read the article. She basically proved what I already knew: you really CAN’T win the game unless you have a pretty effective standing army. For her to win without fighting, she had to do a lot of tweaking … and play at a pretty low level. I wouldn’t mind losing OR playing at a low level of the other “players” would stop attacking me.

7. swo8 May 10, 2017 / 3:38 pm

It would be nice to have a world without wars.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 5:24 pm

This game has ALWAYS been tilted to war. It’s in the basic design of the game, no matter what they say.

• lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:10 am

Why can’t i like this comment more than once?? ๐Ÿ™‚

love.

• lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:40 am

Thanks! – did not know about that. The question was more rhetorical though. I wanted to say that i agreed with sw08’s point very very much! ๐Ÿ™‚

love.

8. thetinypotager May 10, 2017 / 5:04 pm

I’m really glad it’s not just me! It is very hard to win Civ peacefully … I think the one time I managed it easily was because I was hidden on an island and didn’t meet anyone else until the end ๐Ÿ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong May 10, 2017 / 5:23 pm

I think it is close to impossible as far as I can tell. I found that aggravating four versions ago and I guess it hasn’t changed much in all these years. I’m actually surprised at how LITTLE the game has changed.

9. lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:13 am

Basically, what you need is a game that tests your productive and creative skill set, not an aggressive vs defensive one. I maxed my gaming desires out on Tetris! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ These days i mostly just blog/think.

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 11, 2017 / 12:26 am

Tetirs is about speed and manual agility. It’s not about thinking. It’s reflexes.

This is a game that could be better. I really was hoping it was better than it is. it’s still playable, but it’s a disappointment after all these years to have the same problems.

• lwbut May 11, 2017 / 12:45 am

I feel the same way about life… disappointing after all these centuries to still have many of the same problems (plus a few newies!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

And i disagree that Tetris is all about reflexes: when i play it i use strategy and planning which requires ( very quick) complex thought – a little like chess you look for moves you could make in advance and modify them as circumstances dictate.

love.

10. Taswegian1957 May 11, 2017 / 8:43 am

I have Sim City and my favourite part is the building. I want to build the perfect city that has lots of parks and museums and runs on green energy but is not going broke. I don’t need war. I usually turn off natural disasters and alien attacks. I will sometimes even play The Sims just to build and decorate houses although I do enjoy trying to play a generation game and so I can see how my characters children, grandchildren etc resemble the originals. I am not interested in conquering territory or killing. If I want that I can watch TV.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 11, 2017 / 8:59 am

Do you have a newer version of the game? My old ones would not play even on Windows 7 and I haven’t found anything that will play on 10. So IF there is a newer game, I’d love to get it too!!

• Taswegian1957 May 11, 2017 / 7:34 pm

The version I play is the 2013 one. It apparently had a lot of problems when first released but I bought it a lot later and it seems to run OK on my laptop which runs Windows 10. I downloaded my version from Origin and it is still available on their site for $29.99 or through their Vault subscription. I had Sim City 2000 before this but it wouldn’t run well on my computer so I got this version. Apparently they also have a mobile version now but I think that would be too tiny for me to enjoy. http://www.simcity.com/

• Taswegian1957 May 11, 2017 / 9:02 pm

I should add that it will barely run on my Win 7 computer, it is painfully slow. I don’t like some of the features of the 2013 game as much as my earlier version but at least I can still play.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 11, 2017 / 10:43 pm

I will see if there’s any newer version. This particular computer really doesn’t run earlier stuff very well. It barely will run Adobe products.

11. tomcurley1 May 11, 2017 / 9:43 pm

Wow. Fascinating. Civilization is a really really old style video game. Going back to PCs, old ones in the early to middle 90’s. Interesting that it’s still out there. There was always two ways to win the game. Be diplomatic and deal with everybody or kill them all, every damn one of them. In early editions you could load editors and modify the game. Normally you all start as cavemen and have to advance to the point where you can go into space. With the edit you could start out with nuclear missles while everybody else was in the Middle Ages. Fun once, but sort of unfair. Probably can’t do that with the new versions.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 11, 2017 / 10:41 pm

No, you can’t AND you can’t win without beating the crap out of your opponents. I thought it was going to have moved along, but it hasn’t really. It’s basically the same game I had 20 years ago … maybe simpler with even more war. I was expecting it to have changed more. I wuz wrong. Either you make war, or it gets a bit dull because you can build all the wonders and educational facilities, not to mention temples and religions et al, but if your army isn’t up to snuff, oh yawn.