RIGHT WAY, WRONG WAY

Question: You are walking around the house and you feel something on your foot. Like maybe … a cord. Do you:

A) Give a good, solid pull. Be very distressed when a lamp crashes to the floor.
B) Keep walking until you fall over. Be very distressed when you lose a front tooth.
C) Look down, realize it’s a lamp cord. Move the cord.

You would think that  option C would be the standard response, but it isn’t. Many people never look down. Or right or left. They look straight ahead — or into their phone — and keep going. They are deeply distressed when they break something or fall over. They don’t connect their failure to look where they are going with any of the residual effects of not looking where they are going.

I have seen people looking at their phones while walking into doors. Talking to someone next to them and driving their car into a parked vehicle. I know, because I was in the parked vehicle. They also didn’t have insurance. Sometimes, you just get lucky.

I have been driving down a one-way street and been hit head on by someone going the wrong way, then getting shouted at for blocking his path. When it was pointed out it was a one-way street — and he was going the wrong way — he screamed: “Another WOMAN DRIVER!” What can you say to that? It left me speechless.

I had someone sue me because he t-boned me in a parking lot. When he explained to the judge what happened, he needed three pages to draw six pictures.  My explanation was much simpler. I pulled out. He hit me. I only needed a single picture, which the judge liked. So I won.

I had a friend who was a media consultant for a police department. His comment was that if criminals weren’t so stupid, we would never catch them.

Considering the state of the state, it’s something worth thinking about, isn’t it?

23 thoughts on “RIGHT WAY, WRONG WAY

1. lwbut May 13, 2017 / 1:06 am

That one-way street guy… there is a part of the human ego that just completely overrides logic when it comes to admitting we got it wrong. 😦

Sorry seems to be the hardest word. Elton got it right. Being President means never having to say you’re sorry. (and really mean it).

love

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:08 am

I think it’s true for a lot of people But only — alas — only one of them is president, I’m not sure he even knows the words.

2. angloswiss May 13, 2017 / 1:24 am

My way of life is always look down to see if my feet are still attached to my legs, as they often have their own way of doing things.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:50 am

Oh, me too. I’m always afraid of falling. But Garry hardly ever looks down, though at least he doesn’t stare at his phone, either.

3. Taswegian1957 May 13, 2017 / 5:54 am

I suppose someone will make an app for checking for obstacles in your path if they haven’t already done so.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:10 pm

They have a see-through phone. You can read your phone and see the road ahead. OH the possibilities!

4. openthoughtsonlife2017 May 13, 2017 / 9:17 am

We have self-driving cars now which makes all of this so much worse. I read an article and it stated that the owner of the self-driving car was in the back seat taking a nap when the crash happened.
    How do people really think that’s a good idea. The silliness.
    Yup I agree…an app to check for everything.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:09 pm

I cannot tell you what a terrible Idea I think “self-driving cars” are going to be. I don’t even know where to start. Takes my breath away. Someone really BELIEVES in computers.

5. swo8 May 13, 2017 / 10:59 am

This world never ceases to amaze me.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I know. How dumb will be get before we turn the corner and discover “smart” (and not telephones either)?

• swo8 May 13, 2017 / 1:09 pm

Can’t wait to see what happens next.

6. Martha Kennedy May 13, 2017 / 11:33 am

Unfortunately, for the state of the State, someone has to WANT to catch the criminals. 😦

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 1:07 pm

We do seem to have a wee bitty problem with that. Who is catching the guys who should be catching the crooks?

• Martha Kennedy May 13, 2017 / 1:23 pm

😦 The republicans should care. And the Democrats? Their organization is sick. We’re in the middle of a revolution. I figured that out last night. Maybe I’m slow… 😉

• Emilio Pasquale May 13, 2017 / 6:26 pm

One day, driving behind a slow driver, I whipped out and around the slow car. A motorcycle cop was sitting right there. The result? A $350 ticket!

• Emilio Pasquale May 13, 2017 / 6:31 pm

I am really screwing up today. This comment was supposed to be in response to Garry.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 8:26 pm

That’s OK. NO one can figure out how to make sure their responses wind up on the right line. It’s a WordPress thing. I suggest if you have a specific person in mind, put their name at the top of the message. I’m starting to do that because these message responses get very confusing.

7. Garry Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Enough of MacCheesehead 45, Right and wrong ways.

It’s driving behind SLOW drivers. WRONG WAY: Look ahead for an opening in traffic, whip out and around the slow car. RIGHT WAY: Suck it up and silently curse the Gods.
    Nearer my Gods to thee.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Problem is on our two-lane roads, there’s no way to whip around anything. It’s what makes it so frustrating.