COME SLEEP, OH SLEEP

On a morning like this one, “create” hardly seems relevant. Late to bed and early to rise isn’t a good combination for the most tired amongst us and my lids are heavy with sleep … and the contractors — for whom I rose so early — are not here. Why am I not surprised? Although it isn’t raining — yet — there is a promise of rain later. If they don’t get here soon, the whole process will be deferred until next week. This rain, like so many others this year, will be several days before clearing.

The best sleepers are fully furred … Have you ever met a dog or cat who had insomnia? Me neither.

The tiredness factor plays a much bigger role in creativity these days than ever in the past. One of the big differences that comes with aging is the “limited bounce-back” effect. The younger you are, the more you bounce back from adversity. Tiredness, colds, flu … just about everything. The three-day sniffles of your thirties become the several week-long coughing, sneezing exhaustion of your seventies. It’s not that you don’t recover, but it takes longer. The tiredness you could sleep off in one long night takes a good many nights today. Sleep is less deep and mostly, briefer.

The experts, whoever they are, say we need less sleep as we get older. I don’t doubt their well-researched beliefs, but I have a nearly constant sense that a few good hours of really deep sleep could go a long way towards fixing what ails me.

And with that, while still optimistically awaiting the contractors, I think I’ll get another cup of coffee.

16 thoughts on “COME SLEEP, OH SLEEP

1. angloswiss June 16, 2017 / 9:52 am

Typical workmen, it seems to be a contagious disease they have, although not Swiss I must say. The english are the champions is delays, if they arrive at all. It is so annoying when you have everything planned, and no one arrives. By the way, keep your camera handy, you might get a few oddballs when they are doing the job.

2. Manuela, dreaming June 16, 2017 / 9:57 am

I’m with you! I find good sleep is hard to come by now and I like to sleep more.

3. Rin June 16, 2017 / 10:05 am

So cute watching our furry friends sleep 🙂

4. dancingpalmtrees June 16, 2017 / 10:09 am

Workmen and repairmen are notorious for being late or not arriving at all. Hopefully everything will get done for you and Garry today. As for the exhaustion and tiredness I think that starts in one’s 50s. I’m in my late 50s and have had insomnia for years which I had attributed to menopause. However I think my sleep problems and exhaustion are due to my job or more likely dealing with the NYC MTA subway system. Ugh! As for my cat Sylvester he is chillaxin’ right now in the closet. If only I could sleep as well as my fabulous feline! LOL!!

• Marilyn Armstrong June 16, 2017 / 10:20 am

I know. This hardly the first time I’ve hung around waiting for a contractor to show up and I’m sure it won’t be the last. They are always complaining about “bad customers.” But universally, they don’t seem to “get” the whole “show up on time and get the work done” thing.

If you’ve never watched “The Money Pit,” it’s a hilarious recounting of the rebuilding of a house. Depending on what’s going on, it’s funnier sometimes than others!

• dancingpalmtrees June 16, 2017 / 10:27 am

Yup! Their On-Time grade is an “F.” So very inconsiderate. I have heard of the Money Pit and had my own personal experience with maintaining my parents house after they both passed away 20 years ago. It was a nightmare for me from dealing with grieving their deaths and having local workmen take advantage of me since at the time I was only in my 30s, single with nobody to help me. I had to figure out everything on my own which did not work out well and I know these guys overcharged me. Everything had to be done to and for their St. Albans, Queens home from getting new siding, a new roof, floors, upgrading the electrical, etc… Eventually I sold both their homes, the one in Queens and the one in Florida. Suffice to say as I approach my own retirement I will be seeking out a retirement community where everything is done for you not by you.

• Garry Armstrong June 16, 2017 / 12:43 pm

“Waiting for Godot” should be the second feature.
        I’m still a bit pooped from my long day Wednesday.
        Mother of mercy…

5. dcmontreal June 16, 2017 / 10:45 am

As George Carlin said: “What does a dog do on his day off? It’s his job to do nothing.”

• Marilyn Armstrong June 16, 2017 / 11:38 am

I’m not sure I know how to do nothing. I’m pretty sure I worry in my sleep.

6. swo8 June 16, 2017 / 2:16 pm

Less sleep – my foot! We need more. We have a lot more repairs in progress and that all happens when we sleep.

• swo8 June 16, 2017 / 8:27 pm

I find that sleep is more of a piece meal situation. A nap here and there.

• Garry Armstrong June 17, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Leslie, Marilyn and I actually went out last night, dinner with old friends at an old Armenian restaurant. It used to be one of our favorites places in olden times. They’re closing shortly so we wanted to have a “last hurrah” evening. Absolutely wonderful with a memorable belly dancer who was quite talented. At the end, everyone was dancing.

Today, I think, is a do nada day.

• swo8 June 17, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Savoir the night before. Belly dancing? We saw some Belly Dancing in Cairo and Peter got and danced with her.

• Garry Armstrong June 17, 2017 / 2:03 pm

Ah, suave Peter — the great.

• swo8 June 17, 2017 / 4:26 pm

He was actually doing the twist but it went okay with the belly dancing.