MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN – PERSONALLY by GARRY ARMSTRONG

The following anecdote is not rigged by the crooked — or straight — media.

I was exiting our local supermarket and noticed a young lad, maybe 10 or 11-years old staring at me. I know that look. Maybe you have to be a person of color to recognize that look.

Given my particular history, it means one of two things.

Someone thinks they recognize me and probably do, because I used to be someone. Or, they are wondering what this dark-skinned guy is doing here. In this particular case, I knew he couldn’t have seen me on TV because I retired before he was born. Living as he does in our fair (and very white) town, probably he had never seen a real, live not white person.

I seized the awkward moment. I smiled and said: “Hi, How are you doing? Isn’t this a beautiful day?” The lad beamed at me.

I am personally on the road to making America great again.

Trust me.

20 thoughts on “MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN – PERSONALLY by GARRY ARMSTRONG

1. swo8 July 21, 2017 / 11:25 am

That was a wonderful response, Garry. You two make America great just by being there.

• Marilyn Armstrong July 21, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Do you think we could raise some money that way? Save Garry? Fix his house? It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?

• swo8 July 21, 2017 / 12:51 pm

chuckle … it’s awfully hard to raise money for anything, Marilyn. I suggest we all put a printing press in our basements and fire away.

• swo8 July 21, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Go for it Marilyn ….a couple of Franklins will make things better.

• omniclassic July 23, 2017 / 1:32 am

Just put out one of those panic notices, so popular with political organizations, asking for a $1 donation to keep up the good fight. Enough takers could add up to a fair amount of beans?

• omniclassic July 23, 2017 / 10:31 pm

Or we could do it the old fashion way where all of the tribe members get together, build a pyre and light the sucker while dancing around to notify the Gods you’re on your way. Doesn’t cost much either… 🙂

• omniclassic July 24, 2017 / 2:46 pm

It was a suggestion for saving money on the exit costs of your own finality.., but we could apply it to some really unsavory individual allowing us to enjoy it together. Does “orange” hair burn faster than brunette or tightly curled.., I’d really like this to last a bit.., at least till we are exhausted from the dancing?

• Garry Armstrong July 22, 2017 / 1:10 pm

Leslie, I try to have fun with people.

2. fromsandyknob July 21, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Love this one – and the response, and reply to the response…. If only………. more were like this.

• Garry Armstrong July 22, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Thanks, Sandy. Having endured so many thorny moments during my working years, I realize it takes little to be friendly, regardless of what’s going on in your life.

3. lwbut July 22, 2017 / 5:32 am

It must be the Samoan in you – to be sure! 😉

While America still has people like you and Spike… there’s at least a chance!

love.

• Garry Armstrong July 22, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Bob, it helps to have folks like you, cheering us on.