FLOATY BOATY ODDBALLS

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: July 23, 2017

I don’t know if you could really call these oddballs because I took them on purpose. I’m one of the people who goes in for minor surgery and wants a local so I can watch the screens while doctors do whatever they do. Okay, probably not for heart surgery, but for other, less life-and-death stuff. I wanted to watch them do my knee years ago, but they wouldn’t let me.

Bridge and controls

So here I am, on the boat. And there are all these exciting controls with colors, beeping, and chirping. You can see how deep the water is. See the sandbars. Figure out current, waves, water motion. That’s totally cool.

My favorite control
Let’s not go thirsty.

I took pictures. What else could I do?

14 thoughts on “FLOATY BOATY ODDBALLS

1. angloswiss July 24, 2017 / 11:22 am

That was really interesting seeing the controls and the map of what is below the boat and what goes on in the boat. That is quite a modern navigational system.

• Marilyn Armstrong July 24, 2017 / 12:34 pm

And this is a tiny part of what you’d probably see on one of the big ships used by one of the recreational companies like Norwegian. Those are HUGE ships and probably have a houseful of navigation equipment. I find it fascinating too.

• angloswiss July 24, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I worked for two years in London for the P & O Shipping company, in the days when they had the big ships and had the contract for the India and Austrlia post run. I even did a shipping examination and I learned a lot about how to load a ship with grain or oil etc. etc. but that was in the sixties. Today the P & O just do ferry services to European countries.

• Marilyn Armstrong July 24, 2017 / 1:41 pm

There is a lot to learn. In theory, it’s easier than flying, but not much. There’s a lot of stuff going on in the water, around and below you and while you can’t fall our of the water like you can fall our of the air, the ocean can eat you and your ship — no matter HOW big it may be — and not even hiccup. I have always had enormous respect for the power of our oceans.

2. Cee Neuner July 24, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Hope you two had a lot of fun. I know i would have. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong July 24, 2017 / 12:34 pm

We did. And I realized I’ve gotten better because I could move around the ship more or less like a normal person. Last year I was still so shaky I had trouble climbing the few steps up and down decks. So there’s progress.

3. swo8 July 24, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Is that ever neat! Wouldn’t that be fun.

• swo8 July 24, 2017 / 3:10 pm

But look at all those consoles and gadgets. I would be trying to figure out what each one did.

• Marilyn Armstrong July 24, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Garry took a bunch of me. I just haven’t gotten them into a post yet. But I will 😀

4. evilsquirrel13 July 24, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Looks like you found the captain’s secret stash. I guess it is better than barrels of rum…