Hot Summer Dancing, by Rich Paschall
Summer is in full swing, just like your dance moves. The nights are hot and the days are sweltering. We can tell by the sweat running down your flushed face that you are not just a Hot Child in the City, but that you have the Dance Fever. It happens to many so do not be five alarmed. In The Heat of the Night, you just have to get up and move. We are not handing you a Hot Line, just our top ten HOT dance tunes.
If our last top ten list of Dance Songs did not get you out of your chair, we think these will do it. They are hot, really hot. In fact, they are so hot all the titles tell you so. Yes, they all have heat (or fire) in the title. Since you have heat in your shoes, get up and bust a move to these dance tunes. Click on any song title for the song and video, or get the entire playlist at the end.
10. Hot Blooded, Foreigner. Sometimes dancing is not enough in the 1978 hit. “Well, I’m hot-blooded, check it and see / I got a fever of a hundred and three / Come on baby, do you do more than dance?” The single sold more than a million copies and also appeared on the Double Vision album.
09. Heat Wave, Martha and the Vandellas. There are many hot versions of this song, especially this one by Linda Ronstadt, but we thought it was best to go with this Classic version by Martha Reeves. The 1963 release went to number one. Yes, it was a hot hit.
08. Just Like Fire, Pink. “Just like fire, burning out the way / If I can light the world up for just one day / Watch this madness, colorful charade / No one can be just like me any way.” And no one can be just like you on the dance floor. Get up and groove to this 2016 pop hit.
07. Heat of the Moment, Asia. This was a 1982 hit for the alternative rock group. “It was the heat of the moment /Telling me what your heart meant /The heat of the moment shone in your eyes.”
06. Hot Fun In The Summertime, Sly and the Family Stone. We can see that you are starting to pant, so it is time to slow the playlist down for a couple of songs before we have a scorching hot finish. This 1969 hit added a bit of funk and a bit of soul to the hot tune.
05. Too Hot, Kool and the Gang. The smooth 1979 R&B hit should add some soul to your step. “Oh it’s too hot, too hot, lady / Gotta run for shelter / Gotta run for shade.”
04. Hot Stuff, Donna Summer. By 1979 the disco queen was rocking up the tempo with this single from her seventh studio album, Bad Girls. “How’s ’bout some hot stuff, baby this evenin’ / I need some hot stuff baby tonight.”
03. Hot, Hot, Hot, Buster Poindexter. This infectious dance tune got an over-the-top performance in 1987 by singer David Johansen as Poindexter. It will add a bit of calypso to your dancing feet.
02. The Heat Is On, Glenn Frey. This tune was recorded for the 1984 movie Beverly Hills Cop. It received a Grammy nomination for Frey and a lot of air play. The music video was very popular in the early days of MTV. “The heat is on (flames are burning higher) / The heat is on (baby can’t you feel it) .”
01. Hotter Than Fire, Eric Saade. The Swedish pop star scored so big with the 2011 dance tune that there were actually two official videos. The first one featured pictures and graphics, while the second one had Saade dancing through many sets. You might be cooler than ice, but your dance moves are Hotter Than Fire.