GARDEN TEXTURES – THE WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE

Photo Challenge: TEXTURE

I take a lot of texture photos. From a compositional standpoint, they are interesting, but often look more like wallpaper or the beginning of a fabric design than a proper photograph. Flowers, fields, and repetitive design can do the job. I also enjoy textures in monochrome.

The texture of the stems and the pods of what were the garden’s pink Columbine

Sometimes, though, the most amazing texture is in macro, where the lily is both form and texture for the photograph.

The texture and form of two lilies in the wild garden
I participate in WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge 2017

16 thoughts on “GARDEN TEXTURES – THE WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE

1. angloswiss August 2, 2017 / 1:32 pm

If only the grid would function with WP, but we can always post the link. Great photos with wonderful details. My textures are more luck than understanding πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2017 / 1:36 pm

I know I’m going to get mostly texture when I take pictures of fields of anything. I know they won’t really look like photographs. No center, no motion. Just color and texture. It really does make a good wallpaper or maybe a fabric design. I take them already knowing that they aren’t going to be interesting pictures. I take them anyway because, like Cee’s Oddballs, I just like them.

2. bwcarey August 2, 2017 / 1:34 pm

nature teaches us so much, when things go wrong we see the results immediately almost, if they only we had the same attitude about the harm violence causes to tender minds, amen

• Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2017 / 1:37 pm

If only indeed. I think those of us who are in some way artistic ARE sensitive about violence and all that. But we don’t run the world. Which is the problem. Not only do we not run it, but we aren’t even trying to run it and that is the bigger problem.

• bwcarey August 2, 2017 / 1:54 pm

thanks for the response Marilyn, i think their are many artists wishing they had become more involved, it’s the old story, those who seek power always the ones who we need least with it, thanks

3. swo8 August 2, 2017 / 1:50 pm

You can see the prickles or nobs on the stems.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2017 / 5:37 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad I did better this time. I had taken hundreds of pictures and all of them looked … wrong. I thought I’d finally “met my match,” so to speak πŸ˜€

4. DailyMusings August 2, 2017 / 6:59 pm

color and texture- perfect combination- not boring at all! Love the Lillies Marilyn

• Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Thanks. I have a lot of lawn with dandelion shots too and trust me, they WERE boring. Even I thought so!

5. fromsandyknob August 2, 2017 / 11:19 pm

Been a camera bug since High school, with a Kodak Starmite, I think it was…. Love having fun with it.. Been through a few classes, the oldSLRs, and now digital…. Many changes.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2017 / 11:44 pm

I’ve never taken any formal classes, but I learn a little from everyone I know who takes pictures. Over the past 50 years, I’ve picked up a lot.