SERENDIPITY WAS DELETED BY THE WORDPRESS READER

For the past two weeks, readership here has dropped off by about 200% … overnight. Although it’s possible everyone is mad at us at the same time for no discernible reason, I think it is more likely that WordPress Reader has — again — deleted the blog from the Reader. It isn’t the first time they have done this — and I’m sure it won’t be the last time. Whenever they decide to “fix” their software, they knock thousands of us out of the Reader and if we complain, they don’t even say “oops,” sorry because they really don’t much care.

If you see this on Facebook (because I’m pretty sure it won’t be in your Reader), you might want to pop around to see what’s going on. This is why, by the way, I use email notifications and avoid the Reader. Email notifications usually come through no matter what they do to their software. It makes my email get all bloated, but at least I know who has written stuff and can get there to take a look.

WordPress is “fixing” their software again. Whatever problems you’re having, probably other people are having them too. Screens are locking up. My cursor is jumping around like a hop-toad and the items on my dashboard blink or shimmy.

So. I’m not on vacation, not sick, nor off visiting another country. I’m right here, at home, dogs and all. Writing my heart out for you, my beloved friends.

Hope to see you again sometime soon!

58 thoughts on “SERENDIPITY WAS DELETED BY THE WORDPRESS READER

1. Avonna August 7, 2017 / 12:07 am

I am reading this on my reader feed as of Sunday night.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:09 am

I just went in and messed with my settings, hoping I would “reset” myself on the Reader. I knew there was a reason why suddenly, everyone disappeared! I was getting kind of LONELY.

• Garry Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 1:11 pm

I’m way behind with everything. Serendipity, gmail, etc. I may have to skip comments on some things. Sorry.

2. slmret August 7, 2017 / 12:21 am

Sorry — I’ve been a little lax in my responses, too — the weather and a lot of medical appointments, and visitors, and other stuff have kept me super busy. I actually see WP posts on my email, so son’t have problems with the Reader. Will try to do better!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:26 am

I know some people have gone missing. I also discovered about half of my OWN list had closed down.

• Garry Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Slmret, same problems here, including family “stuff”. Plus, I’ve gotten stuck with long responses, catching up with a couple of old friends and find myself playing catch up. It is what it is.

3. ravenhawks magazine August 7, 2017 / 12:36 am

I have been getting you on my reader feed. I guess that makes me one of the lucky ones!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:46 am

I thought I was getting everyone, but when I went and looked, about half of them were closed. I think when they put up new software, they do a reset. NOT the first time. And not all my notifications were closed. Just about half. I get email notices and they never close down. It only makes a difference if you mainly use the reader, which I probably should, but don’t.

4. Taswegian1957 August 7, 2017 / 12:43 am

I have seen your posts on the reader too but I think sometimes we get our “fixes” a bit later in this part of the world. I did notice a big drop in my own views over the weekend but that tends to happen from time to time so I just assumed everyone was busy.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:47 am

I thought that for the first few days … but a week into it when people I ALWAYS hear from were completely missing, i contacted them by email … and they thought I was on vacation. That’s just what I had thought about my missing people.

• Taswegian1957 August 7, 2017 / 1:16 am

I had quite a few views today so in my case maybe they were just busy enjoying the weekend.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 2:04 am

Well, I’m going to see what this does. It is summer and summer is generally slow … but not THIS slow. Not 75% slow πŸ™‚

5. lwbut August 7, 2017 / 12:49 am

I too get your posts via email so i don’t miss out. πŸ™‚

Speaking of weird WP stuff – i dropped by the blog of a new recent visitor, one kind enough to leave a comment and was surprised to find we shared a couple of similar blogs from our blogfeed list. Then i noticed we actually had EXACTLY THE SAME blogfeed list – right down to the ordering!?

Now it could be that this particular blogger had a fetish for copying other people’s blogfeeds and putting them into their own – i mean it takes all kinds right? But since this blogger has been posting for over 2 years i’d imagine her blogfeed would be unimaginably long by now if she did it with every blog she visits?

I prefer to think it’s yet another weird wordpress stuff-up. And a somewhat unique one i cannot really understand the how’s let alone the why’s.

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 1:08 am

That is weird, though we all tend to hook up with each other over time. You were one of the people missing from my list, but since I get your emails, I didn’t notice. That’s why I didn’t know there was a problem.

6. Fandango August 7, 2017 / 1:17 am

FWIW, I still see your posts in my reader. Well, I see the ones that show up in my reader, anyway.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 2:01 am

As I said, it was about half my stuff, so I’m guessing the people checking in are the ones who were NOT deleted. I hate when they do this.

7. angloswiss August 7, 2017 / 1:22 am

I never have a problem with the reader and that is mainly where I find you. I have been away for just two days and my stats have dropped, but I expected that as I was not posting, no problem.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 1:50 am

Well mine wasn’t a few people. It was like a 75% drop and it turned out, I was turned off. I reset everything and hopefully, I’m back on. How as your trip? Hope it was great!

• angloswiss August 7, 2017 / 2:47 am

It was a wonderful trip, if only a week-end and I will be boring everyone for a few days with my reports and photos – so be prepared. πŸ™‚

8. Sue Vincent August 7, 2017 / 1:44 am

I hate the Reader, so follow most blogs via email. That also gets reset occasionally and I lose my subscriptions…or they all get turned off. It has been very quiet around my blog, Stuart’s and the Silent Eye for the past few days too… I dread the new changes….

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 1:49 am

Yes, they’ve been doing another “reset.” I realized a lot of people I usually see were just missing, so I went look and discovered they thought I’d taken a vacation. How often has this happened to us? This has got to be the dozenth time over the past few years. They keep fixing things and with each fix, the software and interface is worse.

9. draliman August 7, 2017 / 3:22 am

I don’t use the Reader but I just opened it and scrolled down and found all your posts. So you’re working in mine πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:06 pm

Yay for that. Other people have gotten dead posts or been sent back to their OWN posts, which were called spam. No clue what that means. I don’t even know how it could happen.

10. Paula August 7, 2017 / 4:27 am

Dear Marilyn, I am so glad to know that you are not sick, and you are right – they do not care.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:06 pm

I double-checked your link yesterday and reset it, so you should (I hope) be good. No, they really don’t care.

11. ksbeth August 7, 2017 / 4:53 am

i found you here on my reader and you are right, they just cannot stop themselves from ‘fixing’ long enough for anyone of us to keep our rhythms going –

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:08 pm

A lot of wild connections to the wrong links, too. I don’t suppose it’s worth bothering to mention it? Nah.

12. swo8 August 7, 2017 / 12:05 pm

I get your notices via email too. Just don’t want to miss anything from you. I also noticed that I have to click on the bell three times to get it to open. (once doesn’t open, twice opens and closes, three times opens closes and opens)What the heck are they doing?

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:08 pm

I don’t know. Some people are getting dead links to other people’s links. I’ve been getting a lot of dead links … and that’s from the email notices. I wonder if there’s any point in mentioning to their “happiness engineers”? They’ve been putting out a LOT of dead links. Sometimes mine, sometimes their OWN, and also other bloggers. The post comes in via email, I click on the header and it’s says “Oops …” then nothing. Sometimes, you get that weird error which says “WordPress error, you cannot edit here” and it isn’t even your own files.

• swo8 August 7, 2017 / 12:21 pm

Maybe they need to go back to coding school?

• swo8 August 7, 2017 / 12:28 pm

It’s like they have to keep coming up with something to justify their job.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 12:30 pm

I don’t even know what they are TRYING to do anymore. Originally, it was to create that stupid “new” interface that I hate and won’t use, then to create something that would make posting on a telephone work (why? does anyone POST on a telephone?) and now? Things that were easy are difficult — or impossible — and the links work only on alternate Thursdays if the wind is blowing southwest.

• swo8 August 7, 2017 / 12:32 pm

FBL full belly laugh….

• amoralegria August 7, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Now that you mention it, “dead links” has been happening to me quite a bit on WP lately! It seems to happen mostly on posts that are somewhat ‘old’ but that shouldn’t happen anyway.

13. Emilio Pasquale August 7, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Well, this comes at a very opportune moment as I was wondering why I have not been receiving comments or visitors as frequently as I have in the past. Except I WAS on vacation, of sorts, and had very limited access so have not been able to comment on those I follow- you being one of them. I hope to get back into the swing of things starting today but catching up at work does take some time.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 10:14 pm

Summer is slow, so I was figuring it was just people on vacation. Except the other day, Garry’s post got 1000 hits. He publicizes everything on Facebook. Finally, I contacted a couple of people and they thought I was away on vacation. I went to the Reader and reset everything. Hopefully that fixed it. Every time WordPress does a reset for some new piece of software, they knock half my settings to closed. This time, at least they left the notifications in place, so all I had to do was reset them. Sometimes, they actually make all the people you’re following disappear.

But summer does tend to be slow, so I wasn’t worrying until suddenly, i realized people I always hear from were missing.

• Emilio Pasquale August 8, 2017 / 4:15 pm

Well, now you understand why I haven’t been hanging around as much lately, either. We’ve been traveling quite a bit these past few months. Just got back from San Diego and leaving for San Francisco in 3 weeks, then a wedding in Utah in September, and visiting my son in Minnesota in October. So far, nothing in November and December! πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong August 8, 2017 / 5:40 pm

We’ve had a pretty dull summer in terms of travel. Pretty active for other stuff, though.

14. amoralegria August 7, 2017 / 2:49 pm

I was worried that they did it because of your controversial political posts! I trust that it was just a mistake and not what I suspected: censorship. A similar thing happened to me but not on WP. Pinterest deleted my account for no reason and their advice for how to reinstate it hasn’t worked. They ignored my last request for help. Just for your info, I rarely look at posts that are on my reader -I get them from email notifications.

15. DailyMusings August 7, 2017 / 7:15 pm

I noticed you started following me- but thought you always were- the reader and wordpress have kinks galore it seems

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 8:30 pm

Yes, they do and they never end. You fix them, then they break them. I don’t even remember h ow many times they have deleted some or all of my contacts. At least I’ve gotten used to is. Good to have you back πŸ™‚ I had you on email, so i didn’t notice that the Reader had locked your up.

16. evilsquirrel13 August 7, 2017 / 10:16 pm

I read exclusively through the WP Reader, and always know when I’ve gotten to the previous evening’s posts by when I come across the block from your blog. I would definitely notice if you went missing from the Reader, and it hasn’t happened on my end yet.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 10:22 pm

I knew who I was missing. I could see their posts, but apparently they weren’t seeing my comments. A few people have posted to say that they are apparently invisible on a lot of posts. It’s just WP being WP.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 7, 2017 / 11:34 pm

Well, I know about you πŸ˜€ It was all the other missing friends! hadn’t you noticed that sudden drop off? I know stats drop, but not usually that much or for more than a day or two. I’m glad i checked!

17. Invisibly Me August 8, 2017 / 1:00 pm

Working okay on mine but I’ve had various problems with WP and FB, including with images not loading. xx

• Marilyn Armstrong August 8, 2017 / 1:30 pm

Good to know. There are people with whom I can’t get in touch at all. WordPress is declaring them as not existing on their server, though I can find the listing in email and on Twitter … but no access. I think the problem is actually getting worse.